Does anyone's children have molluscum contagiosum Wart?

If so, what were you told about it by your child's doctor? My daughter has it and I can have them removed next month by her doctor. Once removed they won't return.

happynewyorker

Asked by happynewyorker at 12:14 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Health

• The do spread however when not removed. My doctor would not remove them. Said she just had to "live with it" til it went away. Eventually they develop an immunity to it & they dont return. However, I read up on the net & I removed them myself (very easy to do & I did it very cleanly of course). I also applied salicylic acid (not as bad as it sounds..its acne medicine) to them. Read that helps. And it did. I was pretty PO'd my doctor would do nothing for it.
    Anonymous

• Thank you for the insight. My daughter's ped didn't want to do anything. I went to a dermatologist yesterday and he said they would remove it.

happynewyorker

Answer by happynewyorker at 12:24 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• They are difficult to get rid of. Consult both a dermatologist and a naturopath. Yes, they will return. Yes they will spread. Yes, they are contagious. My experience with it has been awful. I hope you are able to get a better handle on it.
    They remove it by applying a strong salicylic acid to the area, causing it to blister, burst, become infected, heal, fall off. Be prepared for extreme pain and infection. Talk to your doctor about these things and how to handle the pain. My neighbors son had it done in several spots last week and is still recovering and cannot walk as they were in delicate areas.
    Anonymous

• My son had them and we brought him to a dermatologist. He said that removal was painful, and instead prescribed a cream that he said was originally developed for genital warts but has been found to be effective for other kinds of warts. We put it on twice a day and it took several weeks for the warts go to away. But they did go away and it was far less painful for him than burning them or slicing them off would have been.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:19 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• My daughter's dermatologist will be scraping them off. I was told they will remove and she will have a local so no pain will come to her.

happynewyorker

Answer by happynewyorker at 1:28 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I"m the first poster. Both my daughters had them. They NEVER became infected. I kept them very clean & covered the areas with small band aid after I removed them..which I did with my fingernail & tweezers (yes, I cleaned every thing VERY WELL before use) It was not extremely painful for them either! My younger daughter hardly moved when I did it. My other daugther wasnt happy about it & she did fuss but admitted after it was over that it didnt hurt like she thought it would. It started out only one of my daughters had it but I had no idea it could spread & they used to bathe together (I read on the net that was a no-no but had no idea since my STUPID doctor told me next to nothing about it..never warned my my other child could get it from her) My younger daughter even had one on her nipple & I got it off & it healed up & you cant even tell it was there. There are no scars any place from my removing them.
    Anonymous