Breast feeding vs. Formula, what are some pros and cons for both?

I'm currently expecting and all doctors have said that breast feeding is best. While I do agree how long should I breast feed and will it ever be okay to switch to formula, if so when? How long should a baby stay on breast milk?

MrsGarrett85

Asked by MrsGarrett85 at 12:48 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Point blank, the longer you nurse the better.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:49 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• popcornReally? Breast is best, formula fed is better than dead. Comon...read some research or talk to La Leche League. Breastfeed until two years or longer. Then switch to whole milk. There ya go Pandora.

Anonymous

• I breast feed both. With my first I did both. Because of being in school and I just could not pump in the bathroom. I found formula was just so expiences and it gave my daugther constapaiton. With my second all I did was breastfeed. She would not take a bottle. So if I went anywhere I had to work it around her schedule. But I would do that again instead of formula. She never had constapation issues like her sister does and all the money we saved because of not buy formula.
    Anonymous

• Oh...you're going to start a debate here. There are LOTS of schools of thought on the subject. Take everything with a grain of salt...do your best for your kids and try not to beat yourself up about whatever it is you decide to do. Personally, I do both. Both of my kids were/are primarily breastfed but each got one feeding a day of formula. I found this ensured my kids would always take a bottle or the breast...which gives me the option of taking a break for an afternoon or evening, etc. It also gives them all the benefits of breast milk without being at baby's mercy 24/7. I do find that breast milk is much easier for baby to digest than formula...especially during the first 3 mo. which makes for a much happier baby - less gas, less spit up, etc. My only suggestion is that if you do want to breastfeed...don't introduce the bottle until breastfeeding is established...it avoids nipple confusion. Good Luck. Congrats
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 12:54 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• well i formula fed...both of mineof course i know breast is best, but it is not for everyone it is a personal choice. but yes formula is very expesive but i was in school and work for 8-10 hours shourtly after i had mine and couldnt take the time to breast feed. i dont know that i would either, i tried it with both for a while and i did not think that it was something i would want to do for a year.
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 1:00 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• formula has many cons. and breatfeeding almost none.

is up to you what you wnat to do. i did both and i regret formula feeding. while it safe my sanity i do think it attirbuted to how sick my dd can get while my son who was bf for 10 mts is never sick

at the end is your baby and is your choice. breast is best but if you wnat to formula feed we really dont care
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:02 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• The recommendation most often heard is to BF at least a year, but to two is even better according to the WHO. Pro: Free, Perfectly formulated for human consumption, breastmilk is living and contains antibodies and elements that can not be duplicated, milk always the right temperature, no need to mix or measure, no need to sterilize, baby regulates feeds, a source of instant comfort, sucking by baby is excellent for jaw development. doesn't stain, BF baby poo is not foul smelling Con: people who know jack about BF give advice that can sabotage the process. may (not always) need to pump for absences

Formula pro: available if there is a physical impossibility preventing mom from bfing and no donor milk can be obtained. Con: expensive, can never be made like breastmilk, known problems with allergies, constipation, gas, and spittingup; may have to try several formula to find one that causes the least problems,
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:11 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• requires bottles, mixing, and warming, bottles/nipples must be cleaned and/or sterilized, spit up common and stains clothing, formula baby poo is quite foul smelling, if buying powder formula must be sure that it is mixed properly and with good water.

To answer your other question. All babies should be on some sort of breastmilk or formula for at least a year, and after a year some people switch to cow milk if there aren't allergy problems (but those who nurse often keep going either at breast or by pumping since if the baby needs some sort of milk, the BM is still better and still free). If you use both formula and breatmilk you must be careful not to sabotage your breastmilk supply and you may likely encounter gas and constipation (this is a known side effect of formula). It is always better to pump your own breastmilk rather than to use formula. But it is your choice.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:20 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I personally dont even this should ever be an issue or a topic. Obviously formula isnt that bad because babies have been feeding off of it for years. While breast may be best everybody can not breastfeed. I breastfed my daughter sometimes and formula fed sometimes. I never produced enough milk to exclusively but i think whatever keeps the baby full is fine.
    Anonymous

• Often people erroaneousl think they don't have enough milk if the baby fusses at the breast or seems insatiable (normal behavor during a growth spurt), or if their breasts don't feel engorged (normal breasts continuously make milk, the early engorgement is a result of over supply once it regulates engorgment is rare), or they don't get much with pumping (pumps just aren't as efficient as babies and some women can't be stimulated much by it, but that is NOT an indicator of milk production levels). Or supply gets low because people erroneously use medications that have side effects on lactation, or supplement with formula or bottles too much or at the wrong times, or people try to put a breastfed baby on a formula feeding schedule which is bad for supply.

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:49 PM on Feb. 3, 2010