Did you take your child out of school?

When we have our baby, I can't decide whether to take our daughter out of school (kindergarten) the day the baby is born to spend it with us, her little brother and the baby. I don't want her to feel left out! What are your thoughts??

khedy

Asked by khedy at 12:51 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• my mom picked her up right after the baby was born so she still got to spend time and not miss a day!
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 12:52 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Absolutely take her out!
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 12:54 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Since I was having a csection bright and early, we had their grandparents take them to school and have a normal day. Then by the time they got out at 2:30, the baby was here and I was well rested by then in time for them to come and see her. Your choice.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 12:59 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• my SKs stayed with their mom. they didn't get to come till the next day because I had her at 9:29pm. it was summer so there was no school. i wish that they could have been there though. most of their cousins got to be there that day.....so it seemed wierd. i would have preferred them be there. i just wasn't sure about that before i had her. so if when i have another child, i will do what i can to have them be there. its their sibling and it doesn't seem right that their cousins get to meet their sibling first.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 1:14 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I had a csection in the morning, and my older kids went to school. My mom picked them up afterschool to come and visit their new baby brother and I had spent some time alone with him so I was okay putting him down for a while to listen to their stories about school and let them hold him. It worked out well since I'd had a chance to get cleaned up and rest a little too.

Answer by missanc at 1:19 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Give her the choice.
    Anonymous

• My kids went to school like normal, and were brought to visit after school. I wasn't going to mess up their routines.
    Anonymous

• I would keep her home. My oldest was in kindergarten (PM class) when my youngest was born. She went with us to the hospital but that was just as much about logistics as family togetherness. I would have let her skip either way but as it was we had no one to watch the kids and my c-section was that morning and we were supposed to be at the hospital at 7am (and we were late because of traffic, lol). We had no one to wait around so she could catch her bus at 11:30am (by then the baby had been born) and no one to pick her up at 3:15pm when she got off the bus.
    My husband even missed the birth because he sat in the waiting room with the kids (they were 5, 4 and 3). She was so excited to be there, though. They wheeled me to my recovery room 45 minutes after the birth and the kids were waiting there for me so they got to meet their new sister right away.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:47 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I kept my boys home, 2 in 2nd grade & a Kindergartener, a couple weeks ago when my sister had her baby. I think it's such a special happening & it will never happen exactly the same way again.
    Anonymous

• awww congrats! I don't think 1 day is a big deal.
    Court128

Answer by Court128 at 9:21 PM on Feb. 3, 2010