How do you get a "purest" PICKY eatter to eat mixed foods?

My sister-in-law's oldest child is a girl, and will only eat "pure foods" like Mac & Cheese without the cheese, (plain pasta). from the veggie category she will only eat carrots, from the fruit category she does really good but will not eat melons. Thier daughter is now 7, and is very strong in her opinion. They came over last night and we had enchilladas, and she was scared to eat them, cause they were mixed together. now she would've eatten the tortillas alone. we believe this will eventuall affect her health. please any ideas for taking the 'ICK' outta PICKY EATTER.

JulzRulz

Asked by JulzRulz at 1:05 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Health

• you really dont.... she isnt your kid. does she have other sensory issues? there is no nutritional value in mixing foods together. if she eats them separately, they wont count less toward nutrition...you leave that one alone and dont get offended when she doesnt eat your food.

AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 1:24 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• My son in the early years wouldnt mix foods I had to have plates with the sections so food didnt touch. He still has some days like this but came around on his own to eating spaghetti and other types of mixed items. He has sensory issues and has Aspergers and it was stressful for him to see food touching. It is what it is, you dont make a big deal about it, you just let the kids work out out slowly.

I dont understand how you believe this would affect her health? as long as she is eating foods, and good foods at that there is nothing to worry about.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:50 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• It sounds like she may have some sensory issues; I would definitely get her evaluated

Answer by rkoloms at 4:15 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• YOU don't do anything. Her parents do. There is something called "food chaining" that helps. Like, if they eat plain pasta, you add a sprinkle of butter. After they accept that, you add a sprinkle of parmasan. I'm not 100% sure about it, but one of my friends is doing it with her extremely picky 6 year old, who sounds like your neice.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 7:56 AM on Feb. 4, 2010