Wondering how to handle my tween's attitude

My 12 year old flat out refused to do an assignment for one of his teachers today and she called me. He told her "No, I'm not doing it." She said I have to call your parent. He told her to go right ahead. Well, she did and I am totally shocked and embarrassed by his behavior.....he's always been respectful to teachers regardless of whether he liked them or not. I know he doesn't like the class or the teacher, but it doesn't give him the right to be disrespectful to her. Any suggestions?

momof2boys10

Asked by momof2boys10 at 1:08 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• No privileges and an apology would be in order. He is a child and should behave as such.

LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 1:10 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• what she ^ said.
    Anonymous

• Yes, loss of privileges and an apology. I guess you can't make him do something but you can make consequences for his choice. Ask him what he would do if a boss told him to do something, what does he think would happen if he refused? Does he think you always want to pay the bills, or file tax returns, etc? What does he think would happen to you if you flat out refused to do those things? Let him know that you can look into a change of classes or schedule for next semester or next year but in the meantime he will have to make the best of the situation at hand, that this is a part of life and learning how to cope with this sort of thing will help him forever, and that if he can not do those two things then he will suffer consequences appropriate to the situation. I would think a week without friends and video games or something like that would be sufficient for this first offense. Good luck mama. He's not even a teen yet! :)
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:46 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Thanks to all who answered. Iin speaking with my son, it seems we might have an issue with the teacher. According to my son, the teacher is always yelling at them or talking down to them, and I know that's not reason to be disrespectful, so we will be setting up a meeting with the principal to discuss this situation. As it turns out, my son did do the assignment even though he said he didn't care. Thanks again for all your answers.
    momof2boys10

Answer by momof2boys10 at 5:02 PM on Feb. 3, 2010