Son Doesn't Eat

My 25 Month Old doesn't want to eat rarely anything. I tell the doctor and he says that when kids grow they eat more but when they aren't having a growth spurt that they won't eat much. I don't think that eating a corn tortilla or a handful of dry cereal is enough either. He constantly wants hot chocolate and candy, but I have been trying to keep him away from all the sweets because he constantly asks for them. My granfather told me that my child may be diabetic if he drinks more than he eats but I am confused.

MiZZuZSanTaNa

Asked by MiZZuZSanTaNa at 1:10 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• he wont starve, he will eat when he is hungry.
    Anonymous

• Continue to eliminate sweets and junk food in favor of healthy choices. I agree that he'll eat when he's hungry.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 1:18 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Eliminate the junk food and only offer healthy choices. If he's hungry, he will eventually eat what you offer.
    Also, kids around age 2 do experience a decrease in appetite as their growth rate has begun to slow down. The most growth a child experiences in a short period of time is from birth to age 2. After that, it levels off.

The only beverages you should be offering your child at this point are milk (if you believe in it) and water. Milk should not be served until an acceptable amount of table food has been consumed. Offering milk before or with food allows the child the opportunity to fill up on milk rather than food.
    Anonymous

• I agree with everyone else... He'll eat when he's hungry... My son was horrible with the junk food... For breakfast i'd give the choice between eggs and sausage, or oatmeal and he'd say tato chips... It's been a fight, but I've pretty much eliminated junk food all together. He gets breakfast, a snack, lunch, a snack, and dinner. He's eating much better then before, and less food is being wasted. Put the candy and hot chocolate where he can't see it. When he asks, tell him it's all gone. He can't have any, but he can have a banana or whatever... I wouldn't push him to eat when he doesn't want to. Good luck Mom!!!
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 1:57 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• i have a son who is 28 months.lol!! he does the same thing. however he doesn't get juice or sweets - well, fruit snacks are his sweets. he is SO tiny that it really bothers me when he goes through these spurts.. I make sure he has at least 1 good filling meal - its always breakfast for some reason, pancakes are the one thing he eats the most of but its not always either.. I have been told over and over not to worry too..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:47 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I call this the air-o-tarian phase. They all go through it. First, make sure that he is drinking water, so he doesn't get dehydrated.
    Most important, do not create a monster who only eats nuggets, mac and cheese and hot dogs.
    Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods, and eventually he will start eating them.
    Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.
    I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.
    Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce

Answer by rkoloms at 4:14 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• We use the 3 bite rule. You must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you fix yourself peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple. Even my husband is expected to follow the rule.
    If you cave now, you will forever have a picky monster on your hands. I promise that your child will not starve. Parents who cave are part of the reason why one half of American children are both undernourished and overweight. One third of children born in this century will develop type 2 diabetes.
    Keep offering a variety of healthy foods; stop buying junk foods until the picky phase has passed. Make sure that you are setting a great example by eating a variety of healthy foods

• When he is hungry offer only healthy items, that way at least when he eats it will be something nutritious. Maybe offer a sweet or a treat once a day, but not at a time that it will interfere with other meals. And don't let him drink lots of juice or other sugary beverages, limit that and offer water the other times. Other than that you can't do much, if he is hungry he will eat.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:35 PM on Feb. 3, 2010