What is going on with my son

Im a first time mom and my son is 6 months old and since he was born hes had a stuffed up nose and watery eyes and cries alot and has a real bad cough to where it gags him and i dont know wats going on i asked the doctor and they gave me meds for his cough and they also said that it could be RSV and that they would have to hospitalize him. i dont know wat to do im worried that he might hes been in and out of hospitals since he was born. So if any of u know wats going on please let me know.

quentinsmom09

Asked by quentinsmom09 at 1:15 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have they tested him for RSV? I dont know anything about it, except that it can be pretty serious. I would take him back to the doctor if the cough medicine isnt working.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 1:27 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• my son has had RSV in the past. he had wheezing. once his wheezing was really bad and his chest was retracting. he was hospitalized. that was when he was 4.5 months old. he has had RSV since then a few times, but only once really bad again, and he was almost 2 then. it has been 6 months since then and he has been fine. when he has had bouts of wheezing, we have given him breathing treatments of albuterol with a nebulizer.

if your child does have RSV, he will most likely recover and outgrow it but kids who have RSV are also more likely to get asthma when they are older.

but anytime your child starts wheezing ( i don't know if yours is or not), it can be very serious so i would take them to the pediatrician. especially if the chest draws in. take him to the ER if necessary.

hope all is ok :)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 2:43 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• i should have said that when he was hospitalized they did not do anything that we could not have done at home other than test him for RSV, suction him out with a tube (horrible to watch!), and monitor his oxygen levels.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 2:44 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I took my son to the ER with me when he was 3 mos old for the same symptoms and he tested pos for RSV. The next day I took him to his ped & she immediately hospitalized him. My husband stayed home w/ my daughter who was sick w/ Bronchitis/Sinusitis & I stayed @ the hospital w/my son...never leaving. They had him on breathing treatments & were monitoring him as well as giving him a shot once a day. Finally I asked if I could just take him home & give him breathing treatments b/c I couldn't stand being at the hospital anymore. They sent him home & I had to give him Albuterol and Steroids every six hours via the neb. The next day he looked worse than he ever did & I thought he would have to be re-admitted. I decided to wait it out for a half a day & lucky for us, he began to get better. He is now almost 12 mos old and wheezes every time he gets so much as a cold. You should definately ask for him 2 b tested..just 2 b sure
    MilMom04

Answer by MilMom04 at 3:35 PM on Feb. 3, 2010