Should I tell my old BF to leave me alone?

Before I met my current boyfriend I was dating a guy I was crazy about. We got along great but he was in med school and was so busy studying he never had much time for me. After dating him for 4 mos I explained I wanted to see other people because he didn't have enough time for me. He understood but still wanted to remain friends. Shortly after that he moved out of state to do his intership. About 6 mos later I met my current boyfriend who I'm deeply in love with & is truly my soulmate. The problem is, it's 3 years later and the other guy still texts me every few months. I told him about my current boyfriend and that we're very serious but he tells me he still thinks about me alot and hasn't met anyone else like me. I haven't seen him in 3 years and it's just friendly texting (no sexting) but I'm wondering if I should let it continue. My current BF knows about him and doesn't seem threatened, but I still feel bad.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:17 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Relationships

• If he still has any feelings for you then you should just cut it off. Even if there is nothing on your side. He will always be hoping for a sign or looking for an opening. Really, I am guessing you have enough friends, and it would be best to just go your separate ways. It sounds like he still has a bit of an attachment to you. Also, it might be preventing him from moving on and finding a new relationship that makes him happy, as you have done. I'm not saying you are doing anything wrong just that it might be best to stop communication, I don't really think it is a benefit to either of you at this point.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:19 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• If you are just friends then who cares. If he trys pushing for something more then i would tell him to leave me alone but if its just as a friend then let it go.
    Anonymous

• yes
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 1:22 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• If the ex-BF knows that you're in a happily committed relationship, and knows that nothing will ever happen between you two again, then I don't see why you can't keep in touch...of course as long as your current BF agrees and is comfortable with it. He shared a part of your life, so I don't see anything wrong with checking in on eachother every so often to see how the other is doing.
    Anonymous

• if you're not still head over hills for him...then it should be okay. Shortly after I got married, the love of my life called me up...and I hadn't talked to him for a year! Well he started calling me every week knowing that my husband didn't like me talking to him...but I wanted to talk and hear his voice. Long story short, I turned my cell phone off because as long as I was talking to him...I couldn't focus on my marriage. But if you don't love him like I loved my ex, then you should be in the clear. Just don't go hanging out with him...it might bring back feelings
    GotToHaveFaith

Answer by GotToHaveFaith at 1:42 PM on Feb. 3, 2010