ASPIRE? Please don’t bash I’m trying to help someone get a job!

Here’s the story, there is a woman who has 2 kids in the same school as my daughter. She wants to get a job, but needs day care. Her children are ages 10, 9, 2 and 4 months. Oldest 2 have the same father, youngest 2 have the same father (he decide last week he wasn't really to be a dad - nice!). The oldest 2 can go to the boys and girls club after school – no day care required. But the youngest 2 need care. My sister tells me that if you use ASPIRE for daycare they keep your support check as a means to pay for the day care costs.

Here’s my question, since her oldest 2 kids don’t need day care, will the state or whomever runs ASPIRE keep both support checks or only the check from the father of the youngest 2 who will be in day care?

Works4Mom.com

Asked by Works4Mom.com at 1:36 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Money & Work

• I work with child care providers daily, I'm not sure what ASPIRE is (or what state that is) but here in MI child care subsidy comes right from the state, in a seperate dept from child support

Sounds fishy to me
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:39 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• It's part of TANF. I'm in Maine
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 1:48 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I would find your local child care resource and referral agency .. www.childcareaware.org They will know about child care subsidy in your state
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:57 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Coming from being a single mother there are agencies out there that can help her with day care. Its difficult though. Most have long waiting lists and require you to have a job first before they will accept an application from you. In the mean time she will probably qualify for Food stamps to offset how much she will be paying in daycare. This however requires a lot of time off from work to get established and she will have to let her employer know she are receiving some form of assistance. Even if she takes in her pay stubs they still have to verify that she does work for the company. For a lot of people this is to much information for an employer to know about and a lot of employers will not let an employee take time off from work in the first 90 days. However, it is not impossible, I was able to do it. It failed three years later when my health insurance went up more than my pay raise. That is for another time.
    Anonymous

• How does she qualify for TANF if she receives child support? TANF is for people with no income at all, at least that was what the social service agency I work for says. We deal with people who usually fall through the cracks of aid. We try to keep people from getting in desperate situations that will land them back on full welfare.
    Anonymous

• Anonymous 2:02 PM she doesn't receive TANF now, but even with her support it wouldn't be enough to pay for daycare. Which I'm assuming is why TANF would keep her support check if were to get daycare assistance.

I just need to know if they would keep both her support checks or only the one support check from the father who has children in day care.

I THINK if she worked and was able to keep the support check from the father of the 2 older kids she would be better off, but if father #1 knew his support was going to help pay for the daycare of children 3 and 4 he would stop paying it and in Maine there really isn't much a single mother can do if the guy stops paying the support.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 2:22 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• She needs to call the office and find out herself.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:07 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• She needs to take him to court to have him pay for the daycare. It's a required part of child support. If he doesn't pay he will go to jail.
    Anonymous

• Anonymous at 4:07 PM She has, but unfortunately she is limited. She's not slow, but not educated. I watch her with her kids and she's a great mom, her kids eat healthy meals, they are always clean, at school on time, complete every assignment, if they need help she finds it for them, but she spells like a first grader and she speaks like "Trailer" - the thing is she knows it and she wants better for her kids. And here's the kicker - she would probably do better if she didn't work, but she doesn't want her kids to think it's ok to live off the state.

Anonymous at 4:38 PM wouldn't it be nice if that really happened. We're in Maine, if a guy gets a summons to appear in court because of child support, he only needs to send in $25 and the process starts all over again. As long as they pay something whenever the court comes knocking at the door they are off free and clear.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 6:22 PM on Feb. 3, 2010