What should I do?

I found out today that my babysitter calls my son names when he is being difficult.
They refer to him as 'Dill the Pill' (his name is Dillon). They had the stones to tell Grandma that that's what they call him.. Also, they swear up and down that he is put down for a nap with the rest of the children around noon-time. However on several occasions we've found that he is in a room alone 'napping' at 8am whilst all the other children are watching Tv. One of the sitters' helpers had a guilty sort of expression (for lack of better terms) when I popped in today. This is a licensed babysitter, we trust them to raise our children. Maybe my perception is completely off, I need some input from somebody before I determine an appropriate course of action, thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:39 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• id yank my kids out of there and take some steps to see what else could be done.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 1:43 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• get a nanny camera so you can see whats going on when your not there.. also fire the current babysitter.. also get references before hiring them.. interview them & ask them what their discipline methods are & set rules/ exceptions for your sitter.. like no swearing, name calling etc
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 1:44 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• fire them! if the kids are being bullied by "licensed" people, then they dont need to be around children. are they thru an agency? if so contact their boss and let them know about this.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 1:48 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• They run the 'business' from their home, this kind of behavior is very unlike them. It caught my wife and I completely off guard. We're in sort of a difficult spot these days without a lot of flexibility in income, or time (don't we all). I'm just not sure about the best way to go about handiling these issues. Obviously these are some red flags, what would you do if it were your child??
    Anonymous

• Pull the kid out, and report the daycare! Sorry, but even without the time or money to stay home one of you needs to, it's obvious to me.
    Anonymous

• I would talk to them and see what they say first. Let them know your concerns and your suspicions and ask if your child is having behavior problems- approach it from a stand point of seeing if there are things you can work on with your child at home to help any behavior but also let them know that it is not acceptable to you for your child to be singled out or placed away from the group. Ask why he is being put in the room at 8 am. Maybe see if one parent can talk to the sitter and one to the helper at the same time to see if they are both giving you the same story, obviously without giving them a heads up that you need to talk, and then compare what you are being told. If they are at least honest it would make me feel a little bit better but if things don't add up that is a major red flag, and if they are not willing to offer reasons for these things, or ways to change the behavior then they are not a good place for your kid.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:06 PM on Feb. 3, 2010