Have you ever heard of such a thing?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100203/ap_on_bi_ge/us_toyota_recall

This idiot LaHood guy sure did mistep when he announced Americans who drove Toyotas should just not drive them till they were fixed. Not only is that ridiculous I have never heard the government stick their nose into a recall like that before.
Do you think he said it just to make Toyots look bad so Governement Moters could pick up a few of Toyotas customers? I'm sure they are salivating over this Toyota recall.
Is anyone so worried that they will be giving up their Toyota? We have 4 Toyota trucks in this family and are not thinking of downgrading to a Government Motors car.

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 1:47 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• So you think people with recalled cars that have a dangerous problem should continue to drive them? Nobody is telling people to get rid of them & go buy another brand! I fail to see how advising people to not drive something that could harm them til its fixed equates to telling them to buy a GM!
    Anonymous

• I agree with anon. So are YOU willing to strap your children into a toyota with a known accelerator issue and start tooling around town?
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 2:02 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Yes, of course I would. This is not a big problem.Cars have recalls all the time. I bet you don't even know about most of them. Thats my point, thay are as usual making it out to be a bigger deal than it is just because this administration owns Government Motors now and they are sucking. My son has 2 Toyotas and my husband has a Toyota which I ride in all the time. We have never had a problem and I don't expect to. I am buying a Toyta 4 Runner this summer.
    Do you flip out every time you hear of a recall? Just go get it checked and pay attention to how your pedal feels. Geesh.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:10 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I am not clear why saying something or not saying something is news worthy. Fix your car if it's broken.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 2:19 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I bet the police officer in San Diego, who was capable and trained to handle bad driving situations yet couldn't control his out of control accelerating car despite all he did, and he and his family were all killed, would love to have a second chance to NOT drive a car that has a chance to have such a severe problem.

You don't have to buy a GM. Go with a Ford or any other car that DOESN'T have this issue.
    Anonymous

• WOW... I don't recall a Government official telling people not to drive a Ford in 2008. Remember~The cruise control switch would catch fire even hours after the engine had been turned off and the vehicle had been parked. 1993 to 2004 Lincoln and Mercury SUVs, pickups, cars and vans were caught up in the net.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:55 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Where was a government official then intervening and telling people to stop driving their Fords immediately? 

Or what about in 1995, The release button of Honda seat belts either cracked or disintegrated causing belts to fail outright or causing them to trap passengers and keep them in the car after accidents. Three million seven hundred thousand vehicles were recalled and included the Civic, Prelude, Accord, Acura, Legend, Integra and NSX.

Where was a government official then?

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:58 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• " I have never heard the government stick their nose into a recall like that before."

You are quite right ... BUT gov't meddling like this HAS become commonplace with this new crop of Congressmen, people managing our Treasury, and the White House Team.

This is just another illustration of the basic attitude of progressives, whatever position pf power they hold: "We DO have the right to compel others to do what we decide they should do. Other people's rights are conditional upon whether they're getting in the way of more important things which we want to enact."
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 3:01 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• What a crazy leap into the paranoia. I personally would never buy a foreign vehicle...totally American made here. We own a Ford and a Dodge. BTW has anyone seen the amazing things Ford has done with their company...sounds like I will be buying another Ford.
    Anonymous

• how about in 1987 when GM truck recall was called. These trucks have been responsible for close to 400 deaths according to The Center for Auto Safety . "The problem with these side saddle models is the fuel tank is located on the outside of the frame, so in the unfortunate occurrence of a sideways collision, this GM pickup had a good chance of either exploding or bursting into flames."

Does anyone recal the government stirring panic with this one?

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:03 PM on Feb. 3, 2010