How do I encourage long distance grandparents to be interested in their grandchild's life?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:16 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• email. blogs. skype. letters
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:16 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• yeah send updates about the kids to them and send schoo pics if they are in school and let the kids call them every now and then...
    Goingthruitall

Answer by Goingthruitall at 2:19 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• This sounds like me and my mom she lives 10 hours away and only came down twice in the 12 yrs. we have been together and only for our babies bc they were born but now as the years go by she only calls my dad has made it afew times over her but my mom is always complaining about this and that saying she doesn't feel good to travel such along drive blah blah blah I understand there are days we all don't feel good but this is ALWAYS. So she just talks to my babies on the phone (6 and8) yr. old girl and boy...It is so weird bc when she talks to them I can hear and feel it in her voice she wishes she were here telling them this and that and how much she loves them. It got to the point my kids don't even ask her to come over any more bc she always comes up with an excuse. she pisses me off really. So just use the phone too I guess. GL

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 2:21 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• We have been fighting this for 14 years.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:43 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• You can be open and make suggestions. Make it easier for them to stay involved. But ultimately if they are not interested it is their loss. You can't make a grandparent want to participate. So let them know you appreciate and want them to be a part of your child's life by doing things for them. Send pictures, letters, call, ask for thier opinions and advice. You can fume about it and be upset or you can choose to accept it when you have grandparents who are less than interested in their grandchildren. I personally wouldn't waste my time, energy, and emotions on anyone who obviously does not want or deserve it. I would choose not to fight this battle and simply say your welcome to have a relationship, I'll help you any way I can, but I'm not going to force you to.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:19 PM on Feb. 3, 2010