What are the "unpresentable parts" in 1 Cor. 12:23 that have greater modesty?

Just looking for some thoughts here. Maybe a little iron sharpening iron type thing ;) 12:23 also says that the parts of the body we think are less honorable we bestow greater honor.

For one thing I'm curious what are these "unpresentable" parts? Internal organs maybe? Reproductive type organs maybe? This verse gives me the feeling that they are given taken special care of or something of that sort.
Thanks so much for joinin in mommas ; D

dcwhite4him

Asked by dcwhite4him at 2:18 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• or MAYBE, they're talking about the ouside of the body...
    Anonymous

• The bible talks about the "church" as the "body"...... He uses our bodies to describe how His group of people (AKA: church) should be....Its an analogy that we can understand. So I guess those parts would resemble people who are the same.
    Anonymous

• Unpresentable and modesty in the same line and you can't figure out that it means even though you must cover your Vajay-J in public is it darn important when you are having a baby. That verse was about not be jeolous of the spiritual gift of others. It went on and on. And frankly got very off the track. If you can teach little children, but can't get up and talk in front of adults. Then teachthe little children and stop grumbling that you wish you were a great public speaker. Do the task you were given with a smile on your face. Sorry, I had to sit through a very bad reading of it two weeks ago. Completely off the topic of the verse, but yes unpresentable parts are those that should be modestly covered in public.
    Anonymous

• ok, again i say, read the WHOLE chapter. He is talking of the Body of Christ. he's using our bodies as an example

"If the whole body were an eye, where were the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where were the smelling? " we need all our parts to actually have a body, just like to have a body of Christ we need members to be in different ministries. like the ear hears, we need members in, lets say, the childrens ministry.

Anonymous

• If you read it in context you will notice it is talking about the church as a body...but using the human body as an allegory.
    I will post the scripture from The Message.. it may help you understand more.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:37 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• 1 Corinthians 12:20-24 (The Message)
    19-24But I also want you to think about how this keeps your significance from getting blown up into self-importance. For no matter how significant you are, it is only because of what you are a part of. An enormous eye or a gigantic hand wouldn't be a body, but a monster. What we have is one body with many parts, each its proper size and in its proper place. No part is important on its own. Can you imagine Eye telling Hand, "Get lost; I don't need you"? Or, Head telling Foot, "You're fired; your job has been phased out"? As a matter of fact, in practice it works the other way—the "lower" the part, the more basic, and therefore necessary. You can live without an eye, for instance, but not without a stomach. When it's a part of your own body you are concerned with, it makes no difference whether the part is visible or clothed, higher or lower.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:38 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• You give it dignity and honor just as it is, without comparisons. If anything, you have more concern for the lower parts than the higher. If you had to choose, wouldn't you prefer good digestion to full-bodied hair?
    Shaneagle777

• thanks ladies...some quick replies, very nice!!! Well first of all, yes I did and am reading the whole chapter. I was actually on my way to 13 (the love chapter hehe) & started in 12:1. I did not really want to write out all my thoughts and feelings on the entire chapter tho ; )
    Indeed he is talking about the body of Christ!!! Which led me to wonder, because I know which parts of my physical body need to be covered with more modesty than others, what's that look like as the body of Christ...what would those parts be that covered with more modesty...? Just thinkin & wonderin
    dcwhite4him

Answer by dcwhite4him at 2:46 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I like the KJV translation of this verse better because, for myself, it gives a better idea of what Paul is saying:

"And those members of the body, which we think to be less honourable, upon these we bestow more abundant honour; and our uncomely parts have more abundant comeliness."

When I read the "which we think be lest honourable", I get the idea that it's not really an issue of modesty but one of grooming. We try to enhance the features we find lacking, but our best features are already fit for display. (Verse 24)

"For our comely parts have no need: but God hath tempered the body together, having given more abundant honour to that part which lacked."

I understand this to mean that we are to lend more support to our weaker siblings in Christ. I see this as a reminder that we are all one--the weak in faith, as well the strong. Every one of us is necessary and serves a purpose, every member has a calling.

Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 3:14 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Like I said I think bringing up modesty in this text just throughs it off track. The un-hearing eye refernce was enough. But since you asked what that would look like in the church body, It got me to thinking about the handicapped, the elderly. Everybody wants to invite the Pastor over for diner because he is important. How many people visit the shut-ins? What are the gifts of the mentally handicapped? I don't have answers for you but it is an interesting point to ponder.
    Anonymous