If down on your luck would you go apply for food stamps or go to a food bank first to feed your family?

I feel that the food bank is more appropriate and wish our Food Stamp program would require people to be limited in what they can get on Food stamps like WIC is. Or like Angel Aid that provides low cost bulk foods. I also think they should be required to go to a food shopping and preparation class. You would be amazed at some people who just do not know how to fix nutritious meals.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:20 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Money & Work

• I think food banks are great, but we don't have one close by. My ex MIL worked at one in her town and I think more places should have them.
    Anonymous

• food banks are for people in DIRE need who either are waiting ON foodstamps or dont quality.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 2:24 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Of course I would....I had to swallow my pride and do it already....my husband and I both work and still dont make enough to pay all the bills and put food on the table....so do what you have to do...
    Anonymous

• Food stamps and public assistance are God's provision for the poor. We're supposed to help the poor. What's messed up are the people who abuse that provision and get them when in all reality, they really don't need them.
    Jeanyus

Answer by Jeanyus at 2:28 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• The food at Angel Food Ministries, and many others, are not what I would consider healthy food. I like the option of picking my own foods for my family through the Food Stamps program. Just because you are short on money doesn't mean you don't care about good health and nutrition.
    Anonymous

• I would take whatever steps necessary to provide food for my children. I've already been in this position in the past. I had my youngest child prematurely a month before my DH was diagnosed with leukemia. He had to stop working, I wasn't able to work because I had to be there to care for him and my children.

Like someone said, food banks are for temporary help.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 2:35 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I don't agree with you that we should limit what people on food stamps can buy. They're humiliated enough; no need to make it worse. With that said, if I needed help, which way I would go would depend on how much help I needed. If it was just a temporary setback, say an illness or injury put me out of work and I was just behind, but would be back to work and get back on my feet, I'd use the food bank. If it was an ongoing thing, say I lost my job, or was permanently disabled and wouldn't ever get more than whatever I'm getting, then I'd apply for food stamps. I'd do whatever was necessary to make sure my children were fed, be it the food bank, food stamps, or begging on the side of the road. As long as my children are fed, my pride is not important.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 2:38 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• It's been my experience that food banks are a waste. I live in a big city and you get none of the food that people donate. I don't know where that goes since there is only one system of food banks. You get powdered milk, dry beans, canned diced tomatoes with labels for another country, a can of fruit labed for another country, a can of soup that may have come from food donated. That was it for the Dec. family food box. There are only two soup kitchens and one is for people in rehab and homeless and the other is for the mentally ill. There is no public soup kitchen.

People think they are helping other people in the city when they donate food but it sure doesn't get put in the city food bank food boxes. Dec. was the first time I went and I was surprised there was no line. When I got my box I found out why.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:40 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I went to a food bank in a smaller city when my 3 children were young. I had to sit in a cold church basement for hours with them, fill out forms, be interviewed, ect. When I got the food there was little I would feed my kids. They all had asthma and a rare genetic disease and had to eat healthy foods. There were things like sugary cereal and things with lots of artificial colors. We are allergic to yellow #5. I ended up donating most of it back.

With food stamps you can buy healthy food your family will use.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:44 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I personally already have to depend on Food Stamps and I've always been able to afford those things, but with having my son and not having any work It really has been a blessing, WIC is also a blessing as well. There are people out there that use these things when they really dont need them and its a shame. It can get fustrating at times to deal with all the paperwork and constant snooty workers but when you really need it its worth it. I wouldn't go through it if i really didnt need it. I've also had to ask for food from food banks, I perfer being able to buy what I want instead of dealing with what you get, Dont get me wrong I was extremely greatful but Food stamps are much better.
    krisholl2285

Answer by krisholl2285 at 4:17 PM on Feb. 3, 2010