Do you text while driving? This makes me so angry!

I cannot STAND this. About 15 minutes ago I drove to Subway and ended behind a car, in a 45 mph speed limit, and every ten seconds, the car would slow down to about 15 miles per hour, then go up to 25, then down to 10...I was thought there was car trouble. I pulled around the car, and sure enough, it's some lady texting, completely with her eyes away from the road. I recently saw on Oprah where experts say that you're 6 times as likely to get into an accident while texting. Tests say your senses are so limited that it's worse than driving drunk! There were people on there who thought that they were fully capable of driving and texting, yet they KILLED people from doing so. In my opinion, STAY OFF THE ROAD if you have to play with your phone the entire time. It's selfish and stupid to put others' lives at risk so that you can play with your Blackberry.

I'm not sure which category to put this under...

StefanieN84

Asked by StefanieN84 at 2:33 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I agree that texting and driving is completely unsafe and utterly ridiculous. It's like trying to read a book and drive.

Where I live, they recently made cell phone use in school zones illegal and I believe they are pushing for making it illegal all the time. I would support that.
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 2:36 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Yes, doesn't everyone?!?!? J/K
    Anonymous

• I am guilty, I can do a quick text and not look down I know where all the letters are.
    Anonymous

• I'm with you. I hate it. If you were that important that you NEED to address these issues so promptly while in transit, you would have a driver.
    redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 2:38 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• LOL... I pass my phone to my teenager and have him/her do my texting. Heck my kids are faster than I am.

BUT I have to remind them that the text needs to look as if it came from me so they MUST spell out every word and use proper grammer.
    Anonymous

• Anon 2:36 - Bullshit. How do you know WHAT to text without reading the text you are replying to. Or are you saying that the ONLY texts you send are strictly outgoing, and you never read the notes coming to your phone.

BS, and youre a jerk.
    redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 2:40 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Heck I can't even text while sitting still on my couch! All this modern technology is just too much for this old girl. I've talked to my adult children and grandchildren who drive and they promised me that they don't text and drive. I hope that they are telling me the truth. I joined that mothers against texting and driving group

Answer by admckenzie at 2:41 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• even if you're looking at the road it's still dangerous! your mind is on the text, not the road. check out youtube, they have a graphic video that shows what can happen when you text and drive...made me cry
    Anonymous

• Anon 2:36, the studies they did showed that even though you may technically have your eyes pointed toward the road, the thought that it takes from your brain literally decreases your peripheral vision. It's not safe even if you're not directly looking at your phone. Not only does being that preoccupied affect your sight, it can also affect your hearing.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 2:44 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I have never text in my life and I have only used a cell phone a couple times. I think they are very distracting and I couldn't picture trying to drive and talk on one let alone text. I know we got behind a woman who went off the road about four times, went in the wrong lane a few times, and finally we got to a stop light and since she was going straight, we decided to turn. I told my husband I thought she was drunk then when we pulled up next to her I saw she was actually texting. It was really a horrifying experience.
    Anonymous