Have you ever done a complete 180??

I've had many views and even spent hours spouting them off here ;) But recently, through some extremely stressful situations, I am learning that I might want to rethink my stances. How do you put your own foot in your mouth after so long of a different opinion??

CooksWife

Asked by CooksWife at 2:38 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Well I can kind of understand where you're coming from. I used to be very extreme in my views. I was super radical. I didn't shop at any chain stores, didn''t wear make up or shave or anything! Now that I'm grown up, have a kid, and a mortgage, my views have changed a lot. I don't really talk to any of the same people I did back then, but when they have noticed that I seem different they just attribute it to my growing up and being more mature.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 3:58 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I don't, I stick by what I have said but if you feel different good for you :)
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 4:06 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I think that happens a lot as you get older and gain more experience in the world. It doesn't make either stance wrong, it just means you're growing as a person and are beginning to see things from different perspectives that you didn't, or maybe even couldn't have seen when you were younger. And it takes a mature person to be able to admit to that sometimes.
    jackiesmom72

Answer by jackiesmom72 at 4:48 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• And I'm damn curious to know what "stances" you're talking about. =)
    jackiesmom72

Answer by jackiesmom72 at 4:49 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I miss you Vicki! Um before Adam and I had Katie, I looked into a 3 under 3 group. It was "weird" to me that the group was almost dead. People were so inactive so I left. AND now I know why!! LOL! They don't have time. I can't remember the last time I shaved my legs. Katie is becoming mobile and I am whooped. I thought if I arranged my time differently (or was idk less lazy?) or something that I could do it all. My husband had to go away and train for a couple months out of state and all of the sudden lights are coming on for me: This is HARD. Being a mom is hard period. I am no greater a mother than those I admire that have chosen to space their kids and make their husbands take over as soon as they get home from work. I simply took longer to realize the "work" I was really doing for what it was. I can't believe how disproportionate my thinking had been.
    CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 7:52 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• And I almost feel like it's been detrimental to my family. I mean we have almost warped ideas of what other people "should" be able to do... I'm trying to be careful on the wording here. My husband rocks and I love him deeply. I just think that in some ways, as much as I have taken on has prevented him from seeing what we have gotten into. I'm not incapable but things like understanding that we might need more than one sitter at a time, lol, he hasn't caught on to yet because of how much I have taken on up until now. Or for example that we are DONE having children lol.

The great part is that I am truly at peace with this epiphany. Like some how embracing my limits makes me feel more confident in what I am taking on. I know I wont make the mistake of adding more than I am capable of- and that is truly a "grown up" experience for me. :)
    CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 7:57 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I had to laugh at your "we are DONE having children" statement. =)

I remember before I had kids I would see certain things with other parents and wonder what they were thinking and that I'd never do that with my kids. Famous last words, right? Then you actually ARE that parent and think, "How did I get here?" I think it's the same sort of thing here. I'm just glad that you're okay with it and that you're not going to try to "do it all" because frankly, I don't think it's possible. I can't remember where I heard this, but there is one phrase that has stuck with me ever since I became a parent. "You CAN do it all. Just not all right NOW."

I miss you too, Annie!
    jackiesmom72

Answer by jackiesmom72 at 10:25 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• LOL. Girl, there is no way (if you are a thinking individual) that your life could change so drastically and your views not change! When you are young, and you have 0 or one child......things look a lot different than they do when you are a 32 (33 on Friday!) year old working mom of two. At least in my case anyway. :-)
    emilex

Answer by emilex at 12:10 AM on Feb. 4, 2010