Anybody else addicted to laxatives?

I have always had a hard time with going to the bathroom. I have been to Dr.'s & specialists and they have all put me on the same things like miralax & special diets. The specialists was going to go inside & look at me but didn't want to until I was through having kids because it causes scar tissue & it is close to my reproductive organs. So a couple years ago I came across Swiss Kriss herbal laxative & I take them every night & almost always have a bowel movement the next day. I did not take them while I was pregnany or breastfeeding, i took milk of magnesium then. Am I the only one addicted?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:43 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Health

• I'm personally scared of laxatives,and never take them, however, I've known people who were addicted to them. With them, it started out as an eating disorder, and when they eventually wanted to stop, they had a really hard time because if they didn't take them, they wouldn't go to the bathroom. My only suggestion would be to try stool softeners, which aren't addictive, and eat a lot of fiber...and drink a lot of water. I'm not a doctor, though, so I don't know that this is the best advice, or that it'll even work, but it seems to me that eventually your body will get back on track. However, after that long, I don't know. Definitely talk to a doctor. This is rally something you need help with. I'm sure if you find the right doctor, they can help you find something thgat works for your body. You're definitely not the only one with this problem, I know that. I've heard of it many times, and I'm sure Dr.'s have heard even more.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 2:52 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Why would you want to have the shits all the time?
    Anonymous

• I'm addicted to diuretics...and I used to be addicted to Senna laxative. I'm sure I've messed up something, because I can retain a TON of water.
    Jeanyus

Answer by Jeanyus at 2:54 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• OP here, I don't have the poops, that is the beauty of this pill. You go one time a day and it is not diarrhea.
    Anonymous

• I used to be. During my teens years, I suffered from an eating disorder which caused me to have to become dependent upon laxatives to go to the bathroom. The years of use of laxatives made me lose my own ability to go normally without it. I now have IBS and take a medication everyday to keep me regulated.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 3:10 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Why don't you use a natural laxative.......you know coffee does the same thing to you only faster.....a cup o coffee in the early morning and you can clean out ur colon......... its strange to hear about laxative addiction.....
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 3:23 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• You might try taking a probiotic instead. Probiotic will put your digestive system back in sync.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 5:57 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Gross.
    Anonymous

• you may be allergic to milk proteins or have a gallbladder problem. i had both of these lovely things. once i fixed those and started drinking tons more water the problem went away
    LunaB

Answer by LunaB at 5:06 AM on Feb. 4, 2010