3 year old punches, kicks & bites the Dr. what do I do?

My son is 3 and I DREAD going to the Dr. I haven't even taken him to the dentist because I have to hold him down and they can't really examine him. When we went to orthopedics to check his hip dysplasia he punched the x-ray tech in the balls, and the last time we went to the dr. for his 3 year check up the dr. ask me if "something bad happend to him when he was younger" WTF? No he just doesn't know you and doesn't like being pick at. Any suggestions??? PLEASE! I know he isn't the only one, cause I hear other kids throwing a fit too.

Juicy_Mom_of_2

Asked by Juicy_Mom_of_2 at 2:52 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• prepare your child. let him know that it is NOT ok to hit, kick, or bite anyone! tell him that you made an apt to take him to the dr. then throughout the week, do things like the doctor would, look in his ears, listen to his belly and each time tell him this is what the dr is going to do. also, make a visit with the dr to not get a shot. that will have to come at a later time. but prepare him for that as well. if we go for a shot, we get ice cream after, and the dr also gives lollypops. so bring one for bribery to behave. hope that helps.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 3:06 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• While one can't expect a three-year old to like going to see a doctor, that's pretty extreme behavior. It would be interesting to know if he is being taught self-control and respect for authority when he's in less threatening circumstances.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:31 PM on Feb. 3, 2010