should i wake sleeping baby to nurse?

my 2 week old daughter sleeps for a good six to seven hour stretch. she gained 6 oz over her birth weight the first week. Is it necessary to wake her up to feed her every three hours? I appreciate the sleep i get but am i doing the wrong thing? for some reason she wakes up at 5 am and sleeps till 11 or 12.
Also, she usually nurses and poops while she's almost asleep. Is it necessary to wake her to change her when she's about to take a nap?

BABYJANUARY2010

Asked by BABYJANUARY2010 at 2:54 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my rule is never wake a sleeping baby unless your dr instructs you to because of nutrition/weight issues
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:55 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I would definitely wake her to change the poopy diaper. As for waking her to feed. I don't really know. My daughter rarely went more than 2 or 3 hours in the early weeks. Definitely not often enough for me to question whether I should let her sleep or not.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 2:57 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• As long as your baby is gaining well and your breasts don't hurt you don't need to wake her. Be prepared, this may change around 6 weeks. That doesn't mean she needs formula and you need to wean. Babies often go through a growth spurt around 6 weeks and the extra nursing will make your breasts make more milk.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:58 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• If your doctor didnt say anything about waking her to feed her then dont. I had to because the doctor told me to because he was premature. And if she is almost asleep and pooped then yes change her! That can cause a bad rash and then it will be hard to get her to sleep at all. And changing her will start to hurt. I had that problem with my son when he had the runs. Usually i can change my son and he will go right back to sleep.
    Anonymous

• i wouldn't wake her to nurse. i would change the poopy diaper. i remember when my son was that young, he would usually poop while nursing, then i would change him, and he would nurse on the other side.

congrats on your baby!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 2:59 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• congratulations on your baby!!

i wouldn't wake her to nurse unless i was worried about milk supply, but I definetly wouldn't let her nap in a poopy diaper.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 3:01 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• My rule is never wake a sleeping baby unless doctor tells you to do so because of insufficient weight gain. If your nursing...you may want to take the opportunity to pump during those long stretches and freeze some breast milk. As for poopy diapers...yes, wake her to change them. However, if your newborn is anything like mine...changing a diaper carefully won't wake them up. =)
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 3:07 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Always change a poopy diaper!! As long as she is gaining weight then it is okay to let her sleep. I know my DD would sleep long streatchs but I found she also would cluster feed befor she would go down(meaning she would eat every 1/2 to 1 hour for a few hours)
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:11 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• A poopy diaper will cause all sorts of nasty rashes if you let your child sleep on it too long. I'd definitely change that.

Unless your doctor is concerned, I'd let the baby sleep. Most parents don't get that luxary. Heck, my son didn't sleep that long at a time at 18 months...
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 3:27 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Let sleeping babies lie. Chances are that this is the calm before the storm...

Answer by rkoloms at 3:29 PM on Feb. 3, 2010