Moms induced with Oxytocin or Pitocin?

I'm a mom who was induced with Oxytocin/Pitocin and I was wondering if there were any mom's out there that had any complications afterwards. This can include anything, even things that you don't think are related. Jaundice, hypoxia, headaches all the way up to brain damage or death. It can even include things that you thought or were told was because of something else like a disease or disorder, like Cerebral Palsy. I'm really curious and I can't wait to hear what everyone has to say.

shortymichelle

Asked by shortymichelle at 3:02 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I was induced with Pitocin and had no complications. My milk did come in extremely hard though.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:04 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I wasn't induced but was given the drug once labor began to help things along. My daughter was jaundice...admitted to hospital for a week following birth. no other complications that I'm aware of yet.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 3:05 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I was induced with pitcocin then a section. I ended up very sick on iv's over a week. But I think mine was from the lousy ob that night and weekend delivering me who wouldn't induce me earlier. I was 2 weeks late when I went into labor and 2 1/2 weeks by the time my son was born.

lfl

Answer by lfl at 3:07 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• All five of my babies had jaundice, only 3 were induced, 2 with pitocin. None had any other complications, nor did I, although I was hemorrhaging after one of the natural births until I received a dose of pitocin to get my uterus to contract.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 3:09 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I was given pitocin when labor was failing to progress as fast as the medwife thought it should after she broke my water. I am a little bitter over this, but I can't say that I've noticed any long term ill effects on me or my child.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:10 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I had compressed nerve damage in my leg. When I got up to go to the bathroom after my son was born I couldn't walk. The doctors told me my son was born too fast and his head damaged nerves and I would never walk. There were many specialists that came to see me while I was in the hospital to try and figure out why it happened. I had pneumonia and was hopitalized a week after the birth.

Doctors would come in and say it was from my epidural and sometimes women become paralyzed from epidurals. I didn't have an epidural, all I had was pitocin. It would be nice if they told all women that they could end up in a wheelchair from their epidural. About the same time my son was born that happened to a woman from my same city. Her husband put her in a nursing home, divorced her, and took her kids.

When the doctors told my husband I wouldn't walk he filed for divorce the next day. It took a year of PT for me to be able to walk.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:11 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I was induced with pitocin. My son was very slightly jaundiced, but it was gone before we left the hospital two days later. He also was breathing very short and quick breaths, but the doctors said he was probably adjusting to breathing in general. They watched him overnight to be safe, but nothing ever came from it.
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 3:13 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I had pitocin with my first daughter. It didnt do anything but stop labor, headaches, my daughter had Jaundice for a week... But my milk came in very fast.
    aeroslove

Answer by aeroslove at 3:14 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I wasn't induced. I started labor naturally and the doc decided that I wasn't progressing fast enough for him, so, he broke my water and gave me pitocin(was young and dumb then...super pissed now). My whole labor from first inkling to birth was only 7 hours. My son had jaundice. And went for bilirubin tests two weeks after birth.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:18 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I was induced due to preclampsia and was given pitocin....the whole time I had a really bad headache and it went on for a week after delivery....my baby did have jaundice, they told me it was bc she was born three weeks early
    awolmers

Answer by awolmers at 3:29 PM on Feb. 3, 2010