My 3 1/2 year old dd is starting preschool monday

I have NEVER left her with someone that i didn't know before and i am kind of freaking out...any suggestions on how to make this an easy transtion for both of us?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:08 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i don't really know how to make it easier but i know it does get easier.. my son started daycare back when he was 2 and he cried for the first few days but after that he did not even want me to stay and say bye or anything .. he was going to have fun with his friends.. its not easy at first but it gets easier.. i promise
    kjsmom723

Answer by kjsmom723 at 3:12 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Don't send her to pre-school. Your instincts are telling you she is too young. There is no advantage for her to go and lots of disadvantages.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:20 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I don't think shes too young....my instincts are telling me that its going to be hard for me (a SAHM) to not have her WITH me but, I don't know ANYONE with kids so she has NO experiance with other children and she NEEDS it BAD that is why we are sending her....she never gets to play with other kids and i think THAT is bad for her.
    Anonymous

• don't let her see you freaking out! its when mommy gets all worked up that the kids think that its wrong and then react.

3.5 is not too young. my younger 2 have attended preschool at 3 and thrived.

smile and encourage, get her in the door and go cry in the car. then be really happy and excited when school's over!

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:26 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• do you think that it is a good idea for me to stay and observe the first day because they said i could?
    Anonymous

• no, don't stay.

take up the offer once she's settled and into the whole school thing. I'm sure you can be parent volunteer one day a month or so - at least that's how ours worked. on their special day we can come in and help out. but the first day no.

if i stayed my kids would be latched to my sides the entire time and wouldn't get any good out of it.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:43 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• It is actually beneficial for her to get to be with other kids and not you 24/7 before actual school starts and she is forced with it. Just assure her that she will be fine and you will be back and then leave. She might cry, you might feel bad, but, in the end all will be ok.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:50 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Maybe start out w part time? Im in the same situation. My daughter has only been alone with my mother or my husband. When she does start preschool at age 3, I plan on starting off with 3 days a week from maybe 9-2. If you are able to do this I would try this out first.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 4:17 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• As a perschool teacher the easiest and best way to handle preschool is to bring her in play with her for a few minutes, and then tell her "mommy has to go to work but I will be back to get you" and give her a kiss and leave, at this point 1 of 2 things will happen, she won't care and just keep playing, OR She will cling to you like a koala bear at which point a teacher should come to help you and may even hold her as you leave and she screams and cries trying to get away from them and back to you, As painful as this may be, keep in mind that it really is harder on you then her, and don't go back for just one more hug, or kiss, or whatever,call a little bit later to check on her, any daycare knows to probably expect a call from mom 2-3 times a day to check in. When pick up time comes arrive with smiles and hugs and kisses ready for her and maybe even a treat for being such a big girl..con't next post.
    CuteandCurvy

Answer by CuteandCurvy at 4:19 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• con't she may cry for the first week, or even the first month, or even every time depending on what type of child she is, but know she is being well taken care of, and feel free to call or stop in the center (random visits are something I highly recommend so you can see whats going on when you aren't expected) but be prepared to take her home, or go through the fight of leaving her again..Good Luck.
    CuteandCurvy

Answer by CuteandCurvy at 4:21 PM on Feb. 3, 2010