why does everyone care so much about the "stuff", bedding, strollers, etc

i just feel like in one of my due date groups, everyone posts more about the stuff they are buying their baby than anything else! multiple posts about should i buy this color, or that color? or omg i wish i could buy this or that, if only it was $200 instead of $300.

i'd like to buy some cute stuff too but why do some seem to think it's the most important thing to get the "right" stuff? i mean, isn't it just stuff?

:) not trying to be terrible, but i just don't get it

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:20 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I always felt the same way. And wondered how these mamas would adjust to mommyhood when the new baby mostly puked and pooped on all this fancy new stuff they were buying for it. Ha.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:22 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I never got it either.

get what you can afford and make do with, you really don't need all those fancy little doodads and other things. as long as baby's fed, diapered, clothed and clean - I was happy.

I found a group that tried to out do each other with how little they spent. lol it was a challenge to try and spend less than everyone on the baby stuff. now THAT was a fun group.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:23 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Haha yeah I bought a nice stroller car seat combo on sale at Kmart for $99 and love it

Anonymous

• anony224 has great idea. Kmart has a great baby section but look in baby items for sale in your local paper, garage or yard sales. I bought what was right for my baby, us not anyone else. I do recommend a basket or shelf under it to hold things.

If money is tight right now for stroller then buy stroller separate from baby seat.

Congratulations!!!!
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 3:29 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I think it's some mothers way of interpreting their excitement. They enjoy buying the stuff because it is just more recognition that soon they will have a little one to use it.

I was/am happy with buying off of Craigslist and at garage sales! : )
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 3:30 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• "I think it's some mothers way of interpreting their excitement. They enjoy buying the stuff because it is just more recognition that soon they will have a little one to use it."

that kind of makes sense. it's like they see it as making things more real maybe. some way to release all of this pent up excitement waiting and waiting. lol

-OP
    Anonymous

• To each her own. You judge those women and say they are going overboard buying things, they would say you shouldn't go to garage sales to buy car seats and strollers. Not very safe, btw. No one should go bankrupt but it is exciting to buy some nice things for a baby that is coming soon.
    Anonymous

• When i had my first i was so damn excited to buy everything for him. Didnt matter what it was... the baby was on my mind, and while i WAS taking care of myself physically and mentally, there werent many activities i could partake in while i was pregnant to release some of the excitement. It was almost as if i were a little girl again playing house before the baby came. I would just mentally pretend what it would be like when he came. Awwwww now i miss it.

My priorities weren't mixed up or anything, i was just excited.
    redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 4:10 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Some women just like shopping - it's what they do! Used to be for clothes or shoes, not it's for baby.

Answer by missanc at 4:48 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• "To each her own. You judge those women and say they are going overboard buying things, they would say you shouldn't go to garage sales to buy car seats and strollers. Not very safe, btw. No one should go bankrupt but it is exciting to buy some nice things for a baby that is coming soon."

i didn't really mean so much that they are buying things. just that they are so excited about the things they are buying that they post pics of what they buy, or of 3 different things they are thinking about buying and how hard it is to choose the perfect one, etc. with some stuff, i do take a long time to decide because i'm concerned about safety, like you mentioned car seat, also crib. but with what color of sheets and stuff like that. lol

thanks for all the good answers!
    -OP
    Anonymous