"Starvation Mode"? Really??

So.. I'm trying to lose a few pounds. I exercise, I eat fairly well. I won't lie, I love my ice cream :) But for the most part, my diet is healthy. But in looking at my caloric intake, I keep getting this message (from the site I use) that my calories are too low and that I am at risk to go into "starvation mode". Really? I never feel hungry. And I snack sometimes just because I CAN. I don't take smaller portions or anything. So how is it that I am feeling full, snacking, doing only moderate exercise and am still not eating enough?
So my real question is this... If I really am NOT hungry... should I continue eating just to get more calories? That seems backward, but what do I know...

emhain

Asked by emhain at 3:25 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Try it for a couple of weeks and see if it helps you lose weight.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:27 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Well, the site could be wrong but on the other hand, if you aren't getting enough calories you won't lose any weight because your body is holding onto your fat because it thinks you are starving yourself even if you aren't. It also slows your metabolism, so it makes you feel sluggish, low energy and much harder to lose weight.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 3:28 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Oh please. My normal eating habits are probably at 'starvation mode;' and I have survived. If you want to lose weight, you absolutely have to limit calorie intake. There's no getting around it.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 3:28 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• if you don't take enough calories then yes your body will shut down from burning any more to protect your brain and organs
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:29 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• So... are you giving me free access to the cookies here? Or shoudl I boost the calories with healthier things? Does it matter if my main diet stays the same?
    emhain

Answer by emhain at 3:29 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• How much is the site suggesting you bump up your calorie intake to?
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:30 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Basically it starts me at needing 1200 calories. But the night I go to my Tai Chi class, it says I need 150 more calories. The nights I do Tai Chi and calisthenics, it says I need 250 more. I guess it depends on what kind/how much exercise I get that day. But the base is always 1200.
    Hmm. Maybe I should stop exercising (kidding...)
    emhain

Answer by emhain at 3:33 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Pshaaw~ listen to your body, it knows best...we are not all the same~! We all have different metabolisms that burn calories at different rates...I'm Norwegian, we hoard calories and stack em up for winter like freakin bears or something, if I listened to all the shoulds and should nots of dieting I'd be big as a house :p
    chocolatluver

Answer by chocolatluver at 3:34 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• You can eat so little or so few calories that you don't feel hungry and you also don't loose weight. I was on the not enough money to buy food diet. The first coulple of months I lost 20 pounds and stopped feeling hungry. I live with my adult son and if we would get some money he would want to go to a buffet and I can't eat much.

Now for about 2 months my weight has stayed about the same even though I am still on the don't have enough money to eat diet. I'm ok with that because if I loose more I won't have any clothes that fit.

I was watching on tv about this eating plan where you eat low calorie for 2 days and then eat higher calorie every 3rd day. That tricks your body so it doesn't go into starvation mode and then you will loose weight. Sound like it might work.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:34 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• what kind of calories are you eating? are they empty calories or good calories (fuel)

good calories will help you lose weight and keep your energy up for better workouts.

what site are you using?

try www.sparkpeople.com
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:35 PM on Feb. 3, 2010