I have a 5 year old daughter that thinks she can do and say what she wants no matter what I do or say is this normal for this age

time outs taking things away dont help, she is the only child and around adults more than children her own age.

coolrose32

Asked by coolrose32 at 3:39 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• good luck mama, my dear daughter is 22 and still the same. Honestly, I know I was too emotional when she was young instead of being the parent and being firm. Now I have a teen son and I am more firm and consistent, also he does not push my buttons as she could, she still breaks my heart.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 3:45 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• If you don't teach your child to follow rules, show respect for you and other authority figures, and to have self-control now or within a very short time period, you're going to be screwed. After they start school, they slowly become less of your's and more of society's. By the time they're in middle school they are almost completely society's. You'll make life a whole lot easier on yourself, and safer for your child if you teach her that you're the master of the home and she's not the center of the universe.

Anonymous

• kids just want to rule and win. Life's a game for them to win and they'll never believe they'll be at a loss. Young kids are just made that way. My kids are 22 y o daughter, 17 y o daughter and a 25 y o son. I just kept and keep pushing and teaching what nice is to one's self and to others, and also to things.

My oldest two kids are pretty responsible and so is my teen but I really worked overboard making sure they knew that as they grew young and older that whatever decisions they made as little kids and growing older has consequences - of free time, of on time for school or church, extra time to read in bed or shower, to talk on phone.

I stepladdered my youngest and still do - rules are set and consequences come from her decisions. Bad decisions with bad attitude get additional consequences that she doesn't like but abides by.

Give your dd a choices, remind her, follow through. In a loving, caring FIRM way.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 4:07 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• yeah my four has the "GROWNS" they will see as they get older and the librarian or older sibling is less tolerant of their bahavior!
    Caramel824

Answer by Caramel824 at 4:30 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I'm going through something similair with my 4.5yo DS. He has gone through every stage intensly though his whole life. I know its a limit-testing thing, so I just keep repeating the rules and doling out consequences. I find this particular stage so embarrassing though. I hate being out somewhere when my son decides he's going to tell *me* how it is. The kid has lost more fun outtings over the last couple months...
    I've seen alot of kids this age go through a stage like this--- consistancy and time are the only real fixes. Good luck and stay tough momma!
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 4:49 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Children can be very obstinant. You have to remember that you ARE the adult and anything she says/does can be changed. You are in control of the situation. Follow through, be consistant, and don't back down. Time out should be one minute for every year they are old, so she gets five minutes of time out. Time out should be against a wall where she can't play with anything, watch any TV, or do anything that may entertain her. Honestly, if Time outs and taking things away truely do not work .. Then put her to work. Make her do chores. Sweep the floor, do the laundry, fold socks, wash windows. Anything that a five year old can do, which is almost anything. She wants to act like an adult and do/say anything she wants, then she can be an adult doing chores.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:16 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• She is doing it because you are allowing it. Children will only do what you allow them to do. You need to get it under control now before you be on super nanny because she is smacking and spitting on you.
    Anonymous

• Send her home with me for a week. I'd straighten that mouth right out. There is no way Im allowing my 5 year old to do what she wants to do. You had better nip that in the bud now before its too late. And its almost too late.

I be all over her like white on rice.
    Anonymous