Is this none of my business...?

I work at this vet's office and there is this mother and her little 4 year old girl who we see a lot of. the little girl is very quiet and always looks nervous. The other day she came in the clinic to say her cat had gotten out of the car and could we help her find him. I was the one to go out with her. We get outside and she is dragging her child by the arm screaming at her that it's her fault the cat is gone and if it ends up dead she'll be sorry and how if she wasn't so dam* slow the cat wouldn't have gotten out. WE have also seen this mother cover the girls mouth when she started to talk to us while there. and I mean hard. I have never seen this woman physically harm this child but we all(at work) agree something is not right. Do we call or let it go. I mean It really isn't our business or out problem...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:44 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yelling at a child and calling them names or making threats to them IS considered emotional abuse by CPS. You can remain anon. and know that you've done your part to at least try to protect the child...
    CuteandCurvy

Answer by CuteandCurvy at 4:07 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• You should always call! It is your business. What if the little girl ends up the victim of her mom's anger and is killed. What then? Is it still not your business?
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:46 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• CALL NOW

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:47 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• if there is ever a doubt please speak up for those that can't speak up for themselves
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:52 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Yes call about you concerns.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 3:55 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I don't think it is enough to call. What you are describing happens in some classes of families all the time. A parent hitting a child or swearing at a child is not against the law.

After the CPS did their investigation the little girl would suffer more because the mother would be under more stress. It sounds like she blames the little girl for everything. If they took all the kids away from parents that pulled on their arm and swore at them 75% of kids would be taken away from their parents. Maybe more.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:58 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Gailll.....I would rather tell and be proven wrong...than to keep silent and be proven right. Shame on you. Name calling and yanking a child by the arm are never acceptable behavior. And yes, my mom got in trouble by the law for yelling at my son in Wal-Mart and cussing.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:02 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Children are so vulnerable and have no voice, sometimes not even on a state level. Make sure to keep yourselves anonymous so that you can continue to keep watch over the child, just in case. By reporting the mother she may turn up the heat on the child, which often happens. The child is the outlet of the mothers anger because she was abused and actually dont realize what she is doing. Its a learned habit that will have to be unlearned. Some states leave the child to endure regardless. Find out about the laws, call an attorney for a free consultation. But do call. I wish someone had intervened when I was married to an alcoholic that was abusive to me. But no one did. A very long long story. SAD! So please watch over the child and be there.....get to know the Mom as well. You cant solve the problem until you fix the infected root!
    lacyjones

Answer by lacyjones at 4:04 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• If you people lived in Indiana and went to Walmart you would be reporting every parent in Walmart. People smack their kids and swear at them at high volume all the time. They yell at them for no reason, make threats, and do the stupid counting to 3.

If you all are so upset about this mom and think CPS should be called, why aren't you upset with all the moms that say they spank their kids? Other moms answer and say spank their kids more or harder. I'm usually the only one saying not to spank. If you are worried about how kids are treated then when moms are talking about spanking and punishing their kids, speak up. There is a mom that just admitted putting Tobasco sauce in her 4 year old's mouth because spanking didn't work! He has a bad attitude. Why aren't you upset about her?
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:29 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Gail, when is it acceptable to call CPS then? When you see a child being hit with a bat? What are your standards for abuse?

OP- When it comes to the safety and well being of a child, it is always best to call.
    krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 5:01 PM on Feb. 3, 2010