whats the best OTC meds to get for a sick toddler?

my sons got a cough, and is just generlaly feeling crappy. you can hear hes congested.especailly when he coughs.and it looks like he has a runny nose. either me or my DH is going out after dinner to get him some meds. but we were wondering what OTC medss you laides recommend, a certain brand? anything else we might be able to do for our little guy?

sandraberke

Asked by sandraberke at 3:53 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You're not supposed to give them any OTC meds without a doctor's consent before the age of 6. However, Hylands (that makes the homeopathic teething tablets) makes a natural cough remedy that can be used on kids over two. You can get it at most pharmacies and at Babies R Us. I've never used it, but I've heard good things about it. You can get that vapor bath stuff for babies in the baby wash aisle to help with congestion, and they do make a VapoRub for babies. I usually just put it on a piece of flannel and put that under my daughter's jammies, because it irritates her skin if I rub it directly on her chest. And I use a humidifier and the good old nasal aspirator.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 8:47 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Not Vicks VapoRub. It's not supposed to be used in children under 2. There really aren't any OTC for toddlers. He could get a cool mist humidifier and a bulb syringe for sucking snot out of his nose.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:09 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• well we got one of those things where you add water to it and plug it in and it blows mist around the room. it temp depends on what temp the water is that you put in. we also got one of those vicks vapor (not rub) machines thsat you put tablets in and it blows around in the air.
    what about infants or childrens tylenol?
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 4:14 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Sandraberke wants to say a Vapizor. They are wonderful.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:22 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• humidifiers are really a must in the winter time. as for meds...none! give your little one lots of water, let him rest and snuggle. avoid milk and other dairy, plain water is supposed to thin the mucus making it easier to cough up.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:49 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I actually found a homeopathic medicine that is for congestions for 2 year olds at my local pharmacy.. I haven't read all about it yet though so I can't recommend it .
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 6:09 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• If he has a chest cold you need to get him into the doctor! OTC meds can help with minor symptoms but chest colds can go from bad to worse even to severe if left untreated. Most likely he needs an antibiotic. My son usually needs breathing treatments when he has a chest cold. They're nothing to fool around with!
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 8:23 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Triamenic (sp?) I give my 13 month old 1/2 tsp when he is sick with a cold or benydryl to help with the runny nose. Cool mist humidifier and vicks vapor rub for infants on chest, back, under the nose and on his feet with socks. Most mommas won't agree with any over the counter meds but I believe it really helps my son when he just feels crappy. Good luck momma
    Anonymous

• Not to be a pain, but even "all natural" things aren't always good for people. You should ask your ped before you give it. And you can give children's tylenol or motrin as long as you know the dosage. Hope your little one feels better soon!
    kmstockwell

Answer by kmstockwell at 10:55 PM on Feb. 3, 2010