my son has to have oral surgery to repair some damaged teeth and im scared !

My 4 year old has tooth problems and has since his teeth started coming in, his enamel is falling off of his teeth.And starting to decay, we brush his teeth 2-3 times a day but as a infant and toddler we didnt use floride toothpaste because your not supposed to because at that small of a child they tend to swallow it. So we used toddler training tooth paste. But he now is able to spit and uses the "big boy spongebob tooth paste"....His dentist says that alot of the problems that he has with his teeth are most likely hereditary. So anyways what im asking is that do you think i should have his teeth all fixed at once or do it a few teeth at a time? I dont want to see my son go thru surgery. What should i do ? No bashing please!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:56 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Health

• My son had a lot of dental work done. I was very sick while I was pregnant and it messed up his teeth. We would go to dentists and they would tell me I shouldn't have let him have bottles of sweet things. He was breastfed and never had a bottle in his life. He had silver caps on most his back teeth, root cannals, white caps on some of his front teeth, one pulled.

He did amazingly well. He liked some dentists better than others. He hated having warts removed more than the dentist. He had things done slowly. The shots were enough to manage the pain. I always insisted of being with him.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:05 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• By oral surgery do you mean having cavities in his baby teeth repaired? Or baby teeth removed? Maybe gum surgery?

There's different kinds of dental work.

Two of my kids had root canals from horseplay when they were young oldest was five. And my middle one had very bad preschool cavities. Through all they they received nitrous oxide through their noses and oxygen when that was turned off, that was routine. Novacaine was used too.

My middle child's cavities were dealt with by cleaning and filling them, her baby teeth, then our dentist wrapped very thin very short metal 'blankets' around each compromised tooth until it was closer to her time to naturally lose them.

At one point our dentist thought she cracked a hairline crack her front permanent tooth. We got a pediatric dentist opinion at a children's hospital. It wasn't cracked but she could have had a splint put on the tooth!

Maybe consult a children's hospital dent.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 4:25 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Fluoride actually can cause enamel to weaken in many people. Plus, you get plenty of fluoride from city water. Fluoride has actually been linked to bone loss. Teeth are bones. Some people are very sensitive to fluoride (my DH is) and it actually ruins their teeth.

I would go see a second dentist for an alternate opinion.

Since these are not permanent teeth, I would focus on what to do to make healthy room for the adult teeth to come in. Has he been checked for blood calcium levels? Does he have a history of easily broken bones? Is this something that runs in your family? Tooth decay really is mostly genetic.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:15 PM on Feb. 3, 2010