Rahm Emanuel saying awful stuff.....update!

Emanuel Meets With Shriver After 'F-ing Retarded' Comment. The White House chief of staff issued the invitation last week after Shriver wrote him to protest the derogatory comment, reportedly made by Emanuel in reference to some liberal activists.

Also on hand for Wednesday’s mea culpa meeting were Andrew Imparato, president of the American Association of People with Disabilities; Ricardo Thornton, a Special Olympics athlete; and, Peter Berns of The Arc.

I think this is GREAT! Using that word the way he did was AWFUL and HE should know better! We SHOULD hold our elected officials to a higher standard. I am glad he is widening the circle of people is apologizing too but I still think this remark shows a great deal of this mans character. I am not screaming for his head, but I do think they might find a better choice when his time is up. You?

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 3:58 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Just goes to show...you can't buy class!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:04 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I don't thin the mod dems like him either. He is creepy to me and his comment is no suprise.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:15 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Using that word the way he did was AWFUL and HE should know better!

LOL. Of course, lets hold him to a higher degree of scrutiny, even though lots of mothers around here blurt out that word with no qualms about it. He's human, most of us are, unlike some of the holier than thou sancti-mommies around here.

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 4:21 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• The only thing I disagree with is that he is not on national TV apologizing. If a conservative had said the same thing he would have been held up to public pillory--why does he get to apologize practically in secret, then go on as if it never happened?
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 4:21 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I'm glad he's offering an apology.
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 4:35 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I'm glad he's offering an apology.

***
    Which has become the hallmark of the Obama Administration! LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:37 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• This post is retarded.
    Anonymous

• He should apologize and I applaud the ones that took him to task on it. Just goes to show, you can dress them up, but you can't take them out.
    There are just some words that are not acceptable and that is one of them. Or so I was taught and many I know were taught the same thing.
    The term refers to people with mental disabilities. Many are born with these diabilities and do not deserve the remark any more than me or you. We are born the way we are and should be accepted.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 6:22 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I have no problem with what he said. It's just words. I hope those that do also never use words like dumb, or crazy or any number of other words that began as references to those of mental or physical differences or disabilities and have been in our language so long that most people have no clue as to their etymology. "Retarded" has other meanings, for one thing, and it is also just a medical fact for some people. I say this as an autistic person who has a savant-like relationship with words. I've noticed now that I no longer have certain people I used to use as "shields" in social situations, that people who meet me now often use tiny words and treat me as though I am mentally retarded and not simply socially so. It's how people are TREATED when assumptions are made that should be offensive, not merely the words being used. (con't...frazzing grrr word limit crap)
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 6:38 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• What a looser. It will take years for us to hold the people in government in higher regards than a garden slug. (If we ever do again.) The people who are in this administration, for the most part, are highly paid trash.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:39 PM on Feb. 3, 2010