Female cat/kitten acting weird

She will be a year in April/May. We have had since she was about 3 weeks old. She is indoor only, has never been outside. She is not fixed yet, just have not gotten around to it. She is currently walking around the house whining, not really meowing, just whining with a few bellows.....then she is laying down and diggin her back claws in the carpet, tail in the air..... Even when I picked her up her back legs were digging into me. She has done that, like any other cat, with her fonts paws, kneading the palce she is going to lay, but never the back......and the whining is strange. Any ideas?

mom2queenie2004

Asked by mom2queenie2004 at 3:58 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Pets

• She is in heat.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 4:00 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Yep, she's in heat. My cat did it in the fall and spring time. It can get rather annoying but it usually lasts about a week or so from what i remember. It's like kitty pms. LOL
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 4:02 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Welcome to having a cat in heat. You will wish you had gotten around to it.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:06 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I was guessing that might be it
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 4:07 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Definitely in heat. Get her fixes as soon as she's out of her cycle.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 4:11 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• heat, not sure how you deal with her while in heat and not mating. Maybe give her soft warm blankets to make a bed in to nurture her hormones of needing kittens. After this cycle is through get her fixed to ease her internal stress. No matter what word used describe that it's still all so that the animal doesn't get pregnant.

Not sure why your vet didn't suggest that but it's still ok to get her done after this present cycle.

Our cat kneads blankets and sucks on them to nurture herself, she was fixed at about 10 months. She's always been an indoors cat, she's playful and happy. Getting her fixed didn't hurt her at a little bit older age.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 4:16 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Yeah, every cat I ever had has always been fixed much earlier than this.....we just have put it off because of funds....I guess that is what the tax return will do.
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 4:19 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Yep. She's in heat. Watch out, she may start peeing all over the place to spread her scent.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:55 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Yes, definitely in heat.... the whining is a dead giveaway! It can be quite noisy... in one of our apartments there was an unspayed cat in the apartment next door and by the time we moved I was about ready to pay to fix the cat myself just so I could sleep!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:25 PM on Feb. 3, 2010