What's your opinion on circumcision ?

Last night my husband was talking about how he heard that when the baby boy get's circumcised he is held down and the skin is being cut off while not provided with anyway to help ease the pain. And also my husband mention that the extra skin on the tip of penis has a lot of nerves meaning its very sensitive. So with that being said, now I am reconsidering getting that done if I have another boy again, unless if the doctor can find other ways that make it not painful for these newborn boys. Like maybe numbing the penis? What's your opinion?

jennmlee

Asked by jennmlee at 4:24 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• My dad had his do it painfully and on it's own later on...he told me to do it for my son just so he wouldn't have to worry about it later. It is alot easier to take care of done than not. My son says he is gald I did it...no one misses it later. I assure you. And no, it is not the same as female circ.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:41 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I dont have a boy but my husband is Puerto Rican and he is not circumsized. Neither are his 3 brothers. IMO sex is no different at all. I've been with others who are and my husband is the best I ever had! lol. But anyway, I would ask the Dr. the facts and aslo the pros and cons of it. It is not necessary, but in the end only you can decide.
    Anonymous

• sounds like your already convince not to,im not sure why your even asking what any of us think.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 4:28 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Do your research and make an informed decision. They do put some local anesthetic on it. But it does hurt. And yes the foreskin does have thousands of tiny nerves that are cut away. Not to mention that foreskin has a reason for being there. There is no medical necessity to warrant routine circumcision. Make an informed choice. Personally, I feel it is cosmetic surgery and I consider it no better than a female circumcision. Which most will agree is a mutilation.

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 4:29 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• They do numb the penis, but it still hurts because it's a local injection given at the surgery site (penis). My 3 boys are all circumcised and they did just fine with it. It heals pretty quickly and pain is managed with Infants Tylenol or Ibuprofen.
    GothicMommy3

Answer by GothicMommy3 at 4:29 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• its always been my opion not to do it. there no real need to do it besides for looks. my husbands not cut and neither is my son.and if we happen to have anymore boy babys neither will they. as long as you teach them to keep there penis's clean it poseses no problems.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 4:29 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• we chose not to circumcize our youngest due to the fact that it is a PURELY cosmetic surgery. no REASON to do it. if he decides in his teens knowing the pain and discomfort, that he want it done. we wil gladely have ti done for him. its HIS body, it shold be his choice
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 4:31 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I think it's a personal choice the parents make. Personally, I am not for or against and probably wont be either way until/if I have a boy. I've heard the same things as your hubby, but as long as it's done correctly, so far I have not heard any negative side effects (as the male gets older). Hubby was circumcised and has no issues and I have a friend who was not circumcised and has no issues. So really, it's a personal choice the parents have to decide on, or a male can choice to get it done once he's older. Cant imagine that though.....if the pain is so bad, I think having it done as a child would be better. they'd have no memory of it.

But I'm not for or against. Sorry I rambled.
    Anonymous

• It is not merely "cosmetic surgery". It is mainly for health reasons. But you should do the research....don't listen to the new faddish theories. Ask Doctors. They have knowledge./
    Anonymous

• I don't have any boys and have never had to make a decision. I did just watch a thing on discovery health a few nights ago and found out that they take the cells from the forskin that they cut off of newborns and use if to make a protective and healing cover for people with bad burns. I thought it was cool.

Anonymous