I know this sounds silly but my Daughter has really stinky feet!

Hi my daughters feet have an unbelievable odor to them espically when she does not wear socks. I mean I will literally gag when she takes her shoes off. I have tried Sally Hansens feet spray, but no luck. Any suggestions would be great.

catseyez

Asked by catseyez at 4:29 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• well she may have an infection or athlete's foot. Take her to the foot Dr. Also if she isnt wearing socks, her feet are going to sweat a lot more!
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 4:31 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• No generic shoes from like payless or walmart.
    Anonymous

• Make sure she is always wearing socks. Try different brands of foot powder and perhaps get her a pedicure.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 4:32 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• It's probably because she wears her shoes without socks or with dirty socks. It can help to wad up newspaper (the black kind) and stuff it in the shoes at night. My son works in the meat and fish department at a grocery store and his shoes smell like meat and fish and we do this.

If you start with new shoes have her wear clean socks all the time and stuff the newspaper in if there starts to be any smell.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:33 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• A couple of things..a lot of the issue is compound by hormonal changes. Check her feet for peeling, scaling or cracking. She may have athletes foot. 100% cotton socks-white only. Daily wash of feet and no synthetic material shoes. My oldest son used to get this nasty foot rot until I put him in leather shoes. Synthetics don't breathe. Check her shoes. If they stink and she hasn't had them on in at least an hour..they probably need to be trashed. No socks means all the sweat is absorbed in the lining..then the bacteria grows from the sweat.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:37 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Also wanted to mention Gold Bond foot powder is terrific for keeping feet dryer. If possible enough shoes that she doesn't have to wear them back to back days. They have a chance to dry thoroughly.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:39 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• #1 rule - ALWAYS require her to wear socks.

You can buy odor absorbers to put in her shoes at night, and you might want her to rotate between two different pair to give them plenty of time to fully dry. Make sure she washes and dries her feet well before putting on shoes. You can also buy special foot powder to help with sweating and odors.

If this doesn't help take her to the doctor, or at least put in a call to ask for their advice.
    Anonymous

• Make sure her feet are clean, and she wears socks.
    Anonymous

• #1 - She definitely needs to wear socks.

#2 - If you can wash her shoes (like tennis shoes), here's something I've used with my kids' shoes and I swear it works. Soak the inside of her shoe in plain, white vinegar. I usually leave it overnight if I can. Wash them in the washing machine then dry them in the dryer, and that usually kills any odor or bacteria. I've used this on tennis shoes, Crocs, flip-flops, slippers, etc. If I don't do this, the odor returns quite quickly.
    London3

Answer by London3 at 6:41 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Ok, I have to admit that when I was young I had really stinky feet too. My problem was that my feet would sweat excessively. Shoes made of man-made materials exacerbated the problem because my feet could not get air. I would recommend that you get your daughter shoes that have air holes or are leather. Also, encourage her to use Gold Bond powder because it absorbs sweat. All cotton socks are also very helpful (no nylon or synthetic fibers).

liar

sonnalynn

Answer by sonnalynn at 12:26 AM on Feb. 4, 2010