Black paint beige carpet and we are renting - HELP!!!

My daughter got into some paint today and dumped it on our light colored carpet. My dog then rolled in it and spread it. I got a lot out with basic pet stain remover any ideas on what to do??????

jhj4ever

Asked by jhj4ever at 4:35 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Home & Garden

• besides a carpet cleaner....blotting the stain out as much as possible.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 4:37 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• might have to replace the carpet completely
    Anonymous

• If nothing else works, try the damp towel & hot iron method. It takes some time and effort, but it works well for most stains.
    Anonymous

• LA totally awesome all purpose cleaner (buy it at the dollar tree of all places) gets ANYTHING out of my carpet, including sharpie stains.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 4:40 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Ok I will try damp towel and iron. Also my mil suggested that awesome from the dollar store too, but i thought it would be a waste. May actually have to try it. sounds like its really good
    jhj4ever

Answer by jhj4ever at 4:43 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• maybe a product called HOTSHOT for spots or Resolve spray for carpets.

Is it wall to wall or a room rug? If it's a room rug I'd look into replacing it at your cost to not tik off landlord. If it's wall to wall I'd get a professional carpet cleaning company in and when all done and dried buy an area rug to put on top of his provided rugs.

Then future stains go on your rugs more likely and less likely his rugs. That's what I advised my son in his college house rentals -they party hardy at that age. He got his deposits back that way.

Is your landlord nice, if so maybe be upfront and tell him and get his rug company name.

Good luck! My kids once spilled paint on the aunt's dining room rug when we visited and she was at work!!!! AHHHHHH!!!!! what panic - I immediately diulted with damp towels walking on those towels changing frequently. And prayed hard REAL HARD!!!!

Remember to dry under rug if u do own cleaning.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 4:45 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Paint thinner?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• If it's paint for walls, it's a goner, I promise. Paint thinner will just cause delamination (separation of the carpet face from the backing) and ruin it anyway. If the paint is dry--even partially--it's not going to come out. At this point, you probably just need to have a talk with your landlord and figure out what to do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:00 AM on Feb. 4, 2010