DD too timid & bullies

My dd (8yrs) is very timid. She wants to always be a good girl and never get into trouble. Which is a good thing most of the time! The thing is she is being picked on constantly by bullies and she won't stand up for herself. She will tell a teacher like she is suppose to do. But teachers can't really say much besides stop that. What can I do? I spent a lot of my childhood the same way till I realized if I just stood up to them they'd leave me alone. But she refuses to listen to me.

SalemWitchChild

Asked by SalemWitchChild at 4:43 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Have her take a self defence class.

Our brownie troop just took one and it gave the girls GREAT tips for dealing with bullies, personal boundries, and putting and end to harrasement.
    Anonymous

• Poor girl! I used to be the same way! I know how tough of a situation it is for her. Can the teachers call the parents? Maybe you can see if they can set up a meeting to get this issue squashed. Either way, I hope that they stop picking on her. She sounds like such a sweetheart that doesn't deserve it! Good luck hun!
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 5:37 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• can you call the parents? since this happened to you , do you think that could make it worse? i really don't know what the best answer is...but as a mom, i would certainly handle my children if they were making another feel bad. i just don't know if all parents feel that way.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:41 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Also, what about getting the school counselor in on this? Sometimes if another adult that isn't the parent repeats the same message, it will suddenly stick.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:22 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• The school says they have a "no tolerance" policy for bullies. But telling teachers have never made things better. I have no idea who the kids are or who to contact. All I know is someone in her class and on the bus. Evidently there are several kids bullying her. The self defence classes are a good idea. But right now I pay for her to take dance. I don't have the extra class to pay for two extracurricular activities.

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 6:30 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• extra cash. Sorry!
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 6:31 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Unless they are physically touching her, her best defense is to just ignore them. Pretend like she doesn't hear them. Don't even acknowledge their presence. It irks the HELL out of bullies when they realize that they cruel taunts don't get to you. They will eventually leave her alone.

If they start hitting her, then she needs to tell her teacher or principal.

I was bullied from kindergarten all the way thru 8th grade. When I got to high school, I did what I mentioned above. They never bothered me again. Those four years of high school were the best years of my life. I took away my tormentor's power to mentally hurt me.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:41 PM on Feb. 3, 2010