Measuring a week earlier than DD at 37 weeks?

My midwife just told me that I'm measuring a week earlier than my DD. She didn't really give me any details but said it wasn't bad and that second babies are supposed to be bigger. I'm confused. Does this increase my chances that my baby will come earlier than my original DD? And if size does become an issue, would it increase my chances of having to be induced a lot sooner if we go over the DD? I'm so confused!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:46 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• A week difference is no big deal. My 2nd baby was smaller than my 1st, my 3rd baby was the smallest of them all, so that's not always true. It doesn't change your due date, your due date remains the same, especially since it's only a week. It changes nothing, really.

Answer by missanc at 4:50 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I measured a week early with both my pregnancies from about 30 weeks on and I KNEW when I ovulated so my due date was accurate. My first baby was 10 days before his DD and was 7 lbs 1 oz and my second was 5 days before and 7 lbs 11 oz. DOn't worry about it. It doesn't really change much of anything.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 4:54 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I showed 2 weeks ahead with my first and 4 weeks with my second. It all depends on where baby is located, where you uterus lies, how much fluid you have. Those are just a esitmate and really don't tell you much at all.  You go by when you had your last period.

Anonymous

• i don't think it means anything either. i think you could have your baby anytime between now and 42 weeks. your baby will most likely be average, but could be on the smaller side, or on the bigger side. and it sounds like since your midwife also doesn't think it is an issue, you won't be pressure to induce for size, but if you are, you can just say no. the size guesses are so inaccurate anyway that i would not ever get induced just because someone thought my baby would be larger than average. i really wouldn't worry at all, i think it's normal. :)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 4:55 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I measured 3-5 weeks early my entire pregnancy. My son was born 4 days before his due date coming in over 9 pounds. But sometimes people measure farthur along just because of the way the baby is held. The measure is just a guideline and not all moms fall right into it perfectly.

One week ahead is very minor. Chances are you'll have a perfectly decent sized baby right around your due date. : )
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 4:56 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• my measurements were all over the charts for all three of my kids. I'd be big one week and right on the next.

#1 was big - but also a week late, #2 and #3 were the exact same size at birth and delivery week (39) but I measured 42 weeks for #3 and 38 for #2.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:30 PM on Feb. 3, 2010