flat/inverted nipples and breast feeding

my son is 7 weeks old now and I've been breast feeding since day one. i have flat nipples and my left nipple is inverted. i use a nipple shield from target and it works great. but am i gonna have to use it forever?!? he is getting more active now, like playing with my nipple or pulling and pulls off the nipple shield while feeding and makes a huge mess! so far we haven't had to nurse in public, but i would hate to have to use it forever. I've tried to go without, but he will not latch on what so ever! will my nipples ever change so he can latch on?

miracleMom80

Asked by miracleMom80 at 4:50 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my nipples were pretty flat, i would just stimulate them to get a good latch in the beginning. i never used a breast shield. and breastfeeding was never a problem for me. now my nipples are not as flat as they were pre-breastfeeding. i guess my 2 babies successfully popped them out haha. if i were you i would try to ditch the breast shield around two months. that way you know baby is already successful at breastfeeding and will be determined to try even though it will be a little different for him. good luck.
    Anonymous

• Some women get rid of them and some don't it depends on the severity and the child really. Try pulling your nipple out manually or with a hand pump before trying to latch him on without the shield. Kudos for nursing even with the difficulties I am sure you have faced.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 4:57 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• You could have worn something called breast shells in your bra while you were pregnant that would have helped your nipples pop out before he was born. You can do that now between feedings.

I think nipple shields should only be used under a lactation consultant or LLL Leader's guidance because babies can get hooked and won't nurse without them. You may not get enough stimulation to keep your supply up. If that starts to happen then you have to pump. Breastfeeding is supposed to be easy.

I think you should see a lactation consultant or LLL Leader and have her watch your baby nurse and offer suggestions. I know moms want to do things themselves but if you would have let someone know about flat/inverted nipples before the baby was born the problems may have been prevented. It's good to ask for help.

www.kellymom.com is a great breastfeeding websit.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:58 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I had a friend who used them on one side not both. Her son used the shield until he self weaned at 10 mos. Use it if if helps if he won't nurse with out then thats okay too. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:25 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• My sister used the same ones for the whole time she breastfed, which was about a year. I used them for about the first 6 weeks I think. Then I read a bunch of negative stuff on them, so I started using them once in a while instead of everytime and then eventually just stopped using them at about 2 months. It is so nice not having to use them anymore. I highly suggest you give it a try. They are so messy and you have to clean them everytime. Good luck.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 5:59 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• What I've read is that you should start the feeding with the shield on, and then after a few minutes (after you have your let down) and then take it off and try to get the baby to latch on with out it. Hopefully the invertedness will fix itself or you'll find a good solution.
    Jessie1689

Answer by Jessie1689 at 4:06 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• well thanks guys! i will try :)
    miracleMom80

Answer by miracleMom80 at 12:08 PM on Feb. 5, 2010