House Warming Party..

I close on our first home on the 12th of this month. I already have everything that I need when it comes to furniture and what not, but I don't have any picture frames, or anything decor like to set around different places. Do people still give house warming parties? My mom and a woman I work with said that the ones they've been to lately, the people buying the house had a wish list, like with a new baby or when you get married. Is that appropriate? I don't want to seem rude and I would NEVER ask for anything expensive or over 10.00 but I do really need some things like that as we are completely broke from having to pay the down payment and closing costs as well.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:51 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Just for Fun

• We through our own house warming party in Oct. Usually no one does it for you and you do not ask for gifts. Normally people just bring you a gift you do not request something specific in my opinion that is tacky.

lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 4:52 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I've never heard of registering or making wish lists for a house warming, but if it's accepted where you live go for it.

What I would consider doing is throwing a party after moving in and not making any requests unless asked.

Congrats & GL!
    Anonymous

• You'd spend more on the food for the party than you'd get in the gifts that you need. I agree with lapcounter, don't do the wish list thing. It isn't a shower, it is a housewarming. People will probably bring a small gift or gift card.

Answer by Bmat at 4:57 PM on Feb. 3, 2010