Depressed?

I heard on the radio that people that are involved online with things like cafemom are more likely to be depressed. They don't know if depressed people are more likely to become involved or if becoming involved online makes people depressed? Are you depressed? Were you depressed already or did the internet do it?

Gailll

Asked by Gailll at 5:13 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Health

• I have seasonal depression so being online has nothing to do with it. It does at least help me be more connected to the world then when we did not have the internet.
    Anonymous

• I'm not depressed and I never have been. I'm online because I don't have a job at the moment and I have nothing much to do until spring gets here, since my kids are all grown. Once the weather turns nice I'm hardly ever online. So it's a time killer for me.
    morningglory1

Answer by morningglory1 at 5:23 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I'm depressed, but people made me this way lol, not the internet. This is my nice little escape from reality kind of.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 5:32 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• probably because all they do is sit in front of the computer all day and don't actually get out and interact with REAL people.

Anonymous

• I both interact with REAL people and spend plenty of the time connecting online as well. I have never suffered from depression simply because I was online or even when I did used to spend lots of time online. Although it isn't healthy to spend the whole day in front of the computer, I don't believe it would cause depression.
    Anonymous

• I have a depressing life and many health issues. I endure constant and chronic pain, migraines, stress and problems from having no insurance or means for health care. The internet didn't do it! Nor did it add to it! I do have my 'sites I go to! I love and look forward to! Nice, kind people can cheer me! Or there's many much worse. We get our heads together.. Trying to help, Care, cyber hug, advise and help each other! We personal email. Call each other, Write to each other and send little token gifts Etc.. We uplift each other! This is a Help & a Boost!! Its a Great 'Site! I'm grateful for! I wish NO one suffers in silence with depression! I wish and hope all that needs Help gets it!
    Anonymous

• I was depressed long before CafeMom and before I even had access to a computer and the internet.
    Anonymous