Tax question for anyone that knows.

I was supposed to get my 1099 by Monday Feb. 1st. I haven't received it yet and it's already the 3rd of Feb. I called her this morning and she's out of town until earlier this afternoon. Is there a penalty for them sending it so late? I know I have until April 15th but I'm getting a huge refund so I want it now. Just wondering what kind of penalty they will get since I didn't get it on time?

aidansmom111804

Asked by aidansmom111804 at 5:19 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Money & Work

• I think they just had to b post marked by the end of Jan. so it would be taking a few days in the mail. Maybe they werent late..
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 5:33 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I was told it had to be in my mail by Feb 1st. But they are only 35 minutes away. It would have been faster to just pick it up. I'll look again tomorrow. Thanks.
    aidansmom111804

Answer by aidansmom111804 at 5:36 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I'm really not sure..but i did the W2's for my job and our accountant told me they had to be mailed out on friday (and she knows we are closed on sat.) so i'm assuming they could have mailed them saturday.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 5:38 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• They have to be postmarked by Feb. 1, 2010.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 6:29 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Yes there is, but I have yet to see it enforced. Like the others have said, it just needs to be postmarked by Feb 1 this year. The IRS is more concerned wtih them filing the 1099s with them, which isn't due until March.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• yeah that's what my employer just said..she's not giving mine until she absolutely has to have hers in which i'm very mad about. I'm waiting to have her give me her id number and amount i made over the phone so i dont' have to wait for the paper work. Not again. I'm done with these 1099's.
    aidansmom111804

Answer by aidansmom111804 at 11:06 AM on Feb. 5, 2010