what is the secret to...

...perfect hard boiled eggs?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:19 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I start mine in cold water, let them come to a full boil, take them off the heat, and set the timer for 20 minutes. They do really well for me that way. There is a difference in eggs though, and sometimes they still don't peel the best. However, I have found that I have better luck peeling them by running a pan full of cold water and almost peeling them under water.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:22 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• start in cold water, when the water starts to boil time it 12 minutes, immediately dump in cold water.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:21 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I forgot to say put a lid on the pan when you remove them from the heat and when the 20 minutes is up, pour off the hot water and cover with cold.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:23 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Yes, everyone seems to have it right, cover eggs with cold water, about an inch over eggs, heat to rolling boil, remove from heat and cover for 10-12 minutes, quick cool them with cold water. The trick to easy peeling is to use eggs that aren't too fresh, so check the expiration date. You can even get crazy and the night before, lay the eggs on their side in the carton (you won't be able to shut the lid), this make the yolk move into the center of the egg instead of being all the way on the bottom. =)
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 5:32 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I start with hot tap water and boil uncovered until one cracks. About 20 minutes. Then put the pan under cold water until they are cool enough to remove the shell.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 5:53 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• In french cooking schools they bake them in a small digital oven in a water bath to get them to an exact temp. The difference between hard boiled, soft boiled, and everything in between is only a few degrees.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:04 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I do mine the same way Rachael Ray does. Put a layer of eggs in a pan, add cold water til an inch above the eggs. Put on to boil. Once water reaches boiling, cover and remove from heat. Time 10 minutes, then put in a cold water bath. 10 minutes cold water. Drain, add more water, put lid on, and shake shake shake! The shells slide right off. And a pp was right - older eggs are much better than fresh, the fresher they are they harder they are to peel! Peeling them while slightly warm makes it a lot easier too!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Ok I just asked my DH and he is a chef so he says to: bring water to a boil, carefully place eggs with tongs in the boiled water, and in preciecly 12 mins after placing eggs in water they will be done..
    vjoaquin

Answer by vjoaquin at 1:50 AM on Feb. 4, 2010