Do you Qualify For Un Employment If

You get fired from your job & have a family of 3? My hubby just got fired because his boss wanted him to work off the clock every day for an hour or 2 (my husband has agreed to it before a bunch of times to keep peace)but then he found out that the boss was not asking any one else to work off the clock it was just him, and my husband finally refused.My husband works part time as it is and only make 600-800 a month to support us.Everyone else there is full time and didn't have to so my hubby thought it was wrong well needless to say after a few days of not working off the clock for them he gets fired out of no where....Now we have no income coming in and don't know what to do...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:24 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Money & Work

• If the company can show good cause for firing him, then probably not. But if he can show that he was fired because he refused to do illegal stuff then yes he would qualify. I know "in this economy" unemployment is being handed out like candy (from my experience as a HR Manager) - so he probably will get it regardless of whether or not he can prove it.
    Anonymous

• I'm sure he can- and to have him work with no pay is illegal is it not?
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 5:26 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• yes it is illegal but we don't know how to prove it....I always told him to take a recorder ot work so he could get it recorded....You wont believe who he works for either.....FEDEX GROUND!!!!! and he was a QA manager there and it is the terminal manager there that asked him to do this all the time
    Anonymous

• My bet is that employers in your state do not have to pay into unemployment if the employee works under a certain amount of hours. So therefore you will probably not qualify for unemployment based on 2 reason, not enough hours and he was fired. One you might be able to fight the other well you SOL on that one. Your SO probably did not work enough hours to qualify for unemployment and the employer knows that and was probably why he asked him to work off the clock. Also, just to clarify working off the clock does not mean he does not get paid it means the work and pay go undocumented in other words its all under the table.
    Anonymous

• well he did not ask my husband to work under the table he asked my husband to work and not get paid for it at all because the terminal manager makes more money if the people that work for him get less hours .....he gets a big bonus at the end of the month....and even though my husband was working maybe 4 hours a night i guess that is still too much money for a man to make raising a son and daughter and has a wife ......and I do believe that telling someone to work off the clock or get fired is very illegal .....sorry i am not meaning ot be touchy on this but my family is going to lose everything we have unless we do something while his fat ass manager gets rich .....my hubby did not even bring in $11,000 last year (my husband has worked for them for over 2 years now)but this guy makes over 100k a year.
    Anonymous

• You don't generally get unemployment for part-time employment. And if you are fired - you don't generally qualify.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 10:26 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Part time employees don't receive unemployment. Your husband needs to work on getting a job now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:53 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Fill for unemployement. Call the Labor Department of your state and report the illegal activities and call your local news stations and report the illegal activities. Someone watching the news will give your husband a job. Honest employees are hard to find.
    Anonymous

• If he paid into it, he'll get it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:21 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Regarding calling news stations...that's a real roll of the dice. A lot of news operations will not touch your story if there's no documentation of the violations; there's too much room for the employer to file a libel suit if there's nothing to prove his story.

He likely will be able to get unemployment but keep in mind that it's a small fraction of what he was earning before.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:59 PM on Feb. 5, 2010