Okay, withdrawal maybe...

Okay here it is, we used to have 20+ goats had them for years and didn't have time for them anymore, so we sold them, same with the chickens, BUT to top it all off my daughters puppy (literally hers, he would wait on her to get home from school then never leave her side) got out and killed. (She did not see him or any of the blood or anything like that, she just knows how he died) oh, he got ran over by a car.
Anyway ALL of this happened in about a month, my daughter (5) is acting up really bad, just attitude mainly.
Could this be her reaction to all of the things that has happened lately? Should I turn around and get her another puppy (her puppy was a year old), or should I try and help her deal with it some other way?
I don't want her thinking that everything is replacable, but at the same time, it is okay to be sad. How do I help her deal with it in a healthy manner?

southernstyle88

Asked by southernstyle88 at 5:39 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• it probably is just a reaction to all the change. change can stress little ones. just take the time to talk to her about all of it. remind her that acting out wont bring the animals back. and that when shes a lil older u can look into getting another pet. but at the same time let her mourn her puppy, even tho she may not fully comprehend the meaning of death.
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 6:17 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• No, I actually wouldn't replace the dog right now. Our experience that the half years (5.5, 6.6, etc) are when attitudes tend to crop up. Could just be our experience but for you, it's probably just being her age.
    Anonymous