Have you ever worked out so hard you puked????

I did today, it was my 4th day back in the gym in over a year, since having my dd who is now 11 months old. My old trainer and I got together and he worked me so hard I ended up getting sick and throwing up all over the gym floor, now I am the girl who puked at the gym. NICE. Do you think we should work ourselves THAT hard? Is it really necessary...isnt it ok to just ease into it? He looked at me like me throwing up was a good thing.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:40 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• I can't say whether throwing up after a workout is a good or bad thing, but when I was a teenager, I was a long-distance runner. At the end of my cross-country races (a 5K race), I would always "kick it" at the end--use up the last little bit of my energy to spring the last 1/4-1/2 mile, in other words. Much of the time, it would cause me to dry heave after crossing the finish line. I gave it all I had and that's what happened. Never caused any damage or anything.

If you're not comfortable with the vomiting, then maybe you should back off a little, I don't know. If you are comfortable talking further with your trainer (which you should be--if you're not, it may be time to find a new trainer), then you should delve further into the topic with him for clarification on it.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:50 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I think I would either be talking to the trainer about the kind of workout you want or be looking for a new one. I believe that you should enjoy working out. It shouldn't be something that you dread or that makes you sick. You should feel great after a good workout not sick, that's just my opinion though. I love my workouts and I always feel like I could take on the world when I'm finished. :)
    hillaryann

Answer by hillaryann at 11:15 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Yeah I am not going to be a consistent client of his. I will take some of his workouts and make them my own and do them on my own. I am motivated so I dont NEED him to push me especially if he is going to push that hard. I am so sore today it hurts to walk and carry my dd..and that sucks.
    Anonymous

• Kinda. I actually ate tomato soup and two grilled cheese sandwiches about an hour before doing a 5K. I went running with a friend (male) and it was just... well just a slow and steady jog no pressure or anything. And then we finished and I was like, "Oh no I'm going to throw up." And so I went behind a building and threw up.

It was only the 2nd time I'd been running with this guy and then I threw up. Bad breathe and everything. He felt bad because he thought he had pushed me too hard- but really I just over ate and then ran a 5K.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:04 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Yes. In basic training for the Army that was normal... they worked us so hard and wouldn't stop til we pucked. It usually happened after cardio (running).
    DaphneMae

Answer by DaphneMae at 8:36 AM on Feb. 5, 2010