would you pick your child up from school 30 min early once a week for counseling appt?

on wednesdays - school gets out early. so i was thinking of scheduling my childs counseling on wed after school - but the therapist last appt on weds is the same time as school actually lets out. is it bad to pick him up 30 min early on weds for couseling??? he NEEDS the counseling more. he is gifted and the time he would miss is just the end of the day filler reading time. (he already has reading in the a.m. too) i am VERY pregnant and my husband and i already have lamaze, brestfeeding classes, and drs apptetc. for that to fit in too. a LOT going on right now... would it be so horriblw for him to miss that little time of school for something so important? we are running ourselves ragged right now...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:41 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes, I would. Nothing much gets done in the last 30 minutes anyway.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 5:43 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• You need to check with your son's school. You also need to check with your son. What will he tell the kids about where he is going? The truth would be difficult and you wouldn't want him to lie?

If you are running yourselves ragged could that be why he needs counseling? Are there ways you could reorganize your life? Childbirth and breastfeeding classes are great but you could get them on tape and watch them after he goes to bed.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:46 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Been there. Done that. If he needs the couseling & that's the only time then go for it.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 5:51 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• gailll -

im running myself ragged bc i just got married and am trying to start my life with my husband - our nephew was thrown at us without any choice (we would absolutely take him in no matter what anyways we love him) but the stress his mother causes drives us crazy - and he needs counseling bc his father died and his mother has a million problems and is on the same path - NOT bc WE are pregnant with OUR 1st child and want to enjoy these moments we should be savoring, we WANT to take the lamaze etc. we are excited and want to remember these memories, we are very busy, but we are doing what we have to, and him needinh counseling isnt bc of us. we are the good in his life, helping him, not his stressor. :)
    Anonymous

• Definitely, definitely bring him to the cournselor. You can meet w/ teachers, stay later other days or make up work another time. The mental health issue is critical not to avoid. I applaud you for doing what is right!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 5:59 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• just once a week? I wouldn't worry about it- it's important.
    Anonymous

• Yes, but I would ask the Dr if another day after school opens up to call me and take that instead as soon as ita avaliable.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 7:17 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Anonymous, You have alot going on, no doubt.... I do agree that he needs to be in counceling, whether a 1/2 hr., or a whole hour before school is out... This is a child who needs to have someone of his own to confide/trust in right now..... Take him out, to bad what the school thinks.... It's a medical matter, the school can't do shit to you or him.... Just tell the school what they need to know..... To me, it's a "No-Brainer"....
    dobrd

Answer by dobrd at 7:33 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I agree. Its a no-brainer.
    youngmm

Answer by youngmm at 8:03 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• personally i would try to find an appointment time available AFTER school....but that is just me. especially since its going to be a regular thing. if it was just one time, i wouldn't worry too much. but i am big about not missing school. if its not possible to have an appointment after school on another day then i would do it....but only then.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 8:35 PM on Feb. 3, 2010