my son is 21 months and he understand evrything u ask him to do but the things is he only say maybe 6-8 words and the other are babbles (a lot) like he has his own laugages. I was wondering is this a sign of speech impairs that i should he worried about

21 mos not talking

msjada2582

Asked by msjada2582 at 5:55 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My LO is 19 mos but uses a lot of words. I MAKE her use her words. If she wants something she has to ask for it or show me what she wants. I wouldn't be concerned about it. They are still developing many things at this age. Talk to your pediatrician about it if you are really that concerned. By the way a lot of the babbles could be words that you just haven't figured out yet. I have just started understanding what my LO is saying and that makes life a lot easier on all of us. Like "sh sh" is shoe, "bw bw" means her blanket. Just because they haven't completely developed the word doesn't mean that they aren't talking yet.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:09 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• dont worry about it until u talk to ur pediatrician. my oldest was the same way, but she had ear infections almost her whole first yr of life. 1 year of speach therapy helped her. my youngest is also not talking as much, but the therapist told me she has the basic skills, just doesnt like talking because she gets more attention that way. if u are truely consirned, ask ur doc at ur next appointment
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 5:59 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• It's normal for a boy to only use a few words at your son's age. You may want to teach him some signs so he doesn't get frustrated when he doesn't have words for what he wants. It's also nice to have signs so you can "talk" to him if you are across the room or far away outside.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:01 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• The most important thing is that he understands what you are saying. My older two kids didn't start saying their first words until they were 2 1/2 and didn't start to really talk in sentences until they were three. They are 10 now and perfectly fine. It might be time to have him evaluated though, at the next pediatrician appointment ask for a referral to a speech therapist.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:01 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• sounds normal to me. my kids only said a few words and babbled the resst at that age. my dd is 23 months and knows a few words and can put 2 words together sometimes (but not clearly). my oldest was the same way and i was really worried. she's 4 now and won't shut up. don't worry. all kids develop at different rates. if you're really worried, bring it up to your pediatrician. but my opinion (as a mommy, not a professional) is that your baby will be fine and will start picking things up lightning fast when he's ready. good luck.
    Anonymous

• If your "mommy radar" is going off - ask your pediatrician for a referral to early intervention. Pediatricians are notoriously late at noticing signs of delays, because they rely on the 10-15 minutes they see you at each visit and they trust that parents will bring up any concerns they have. Your intuition that something may not be right on target is the best indication of something that needs to be checked out. If you get an evaluation and they say nothing's wrong, then at least your fears are laid to rest. But if they find something they can get a head start on whatever therapy they think will help the most and allow your child to catch up before he gets too far behind. Yes, I think in general most kids will eventually catch up on their own, but as a mom don't you want to give your child every advantage available?

Answer by missanc at 7:16 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• My niece had the same issue, and nothing was done about it until she was almost 4 years old and then they found out she was almost completely deaf. I am not trying to alarm you, but there are many different issues that it could be.
    tishalb

Answer by tishalb at 10:24 PM on Feb. 3, 2010