Infant CPR

Who has gone and gotten certified??? I am going and just wondering whats in store for me.

MommaWoods

Asked by MommaWoods at 6:26 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I also took an infant CPR class before leaving the NICU, and I also had to use it about a week after discharge. I now tell everyone take it!
    momofthree109

Answer by momofthree109 at 11:33 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I had it as part of a general CPR course. You'll learn when it is needed and how to give it, also probably Heimlich on infants and older children as well.

Answer by Bmat at 6:36 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I have been a Red Cross CPR and First Aid instructor for over 25 years. First, let me say that it's GREAT that you're taking this valuable training course! You will learn the proper and effective techniques for CPR and Rescue Breathing as well as how to clear an obstructed airway on a conscious and unconscious infant--which is 0-12 months of age and a child (which are VERY DIFFERENT skills) age 1-8 years. You will practice on a mannequin that is about the size and weight of a 3-4 month old, and a child about the size and weight of a 5 year old.

You will get a course book, watch training videos, and the instructor will demonstrate and you will be given the opportunity to practice skills several times with a partner. If you are going to become certified (so you can perform these skills on an infant or child beyond your family) you will take a written and practical exam.

You should take a refresher course EVERY year!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:39 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I did.
    Anonymous

• My husband did...and the training was needed.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:49 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I have been CPR and First aid certified. I haven't had a refresher in a few years but my skill have saved the lives of 2 children, from 2 different families.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:57 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• It's been about 3 years since I had the refresher course. I was a corpsman in the Navy and worked in the Recovery Room. It was required that I be certified. I'd like to get re-certified in CPR and pediatric CPR in the next few months.
    vances_mom

Answer by vances_mom at 7:26 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I learned infant CPR before leaving the NICU with my daughter. The BEST and most useful time of my life. One week after taking her home, I had to resuscitate her. I was able to save her life, and she is doing very well 3 months later, with no signs of what she has been through.
    Danyellimom

Answer by Danyellimom at 10:41 PM on Feb. 3, 2010