Is there a way to flat iron my hair without damaging it?

I have very thick hair and want it to be straight without frying it with a flat iron. Any tips. I'm so sick of pony tails. I want to wear it down for once. There is a flat iron out there that helps protect from damaging hair but it is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too expensive.

LaurenKaye29

Asked by LaurenKaye29 at 6:53 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Use a protective spray...I use Chi Iron Guard but there are others out there. :D I have very naturally curly hair and I flat iron a lot, but not every day. I try to give my hair a rest from the flat ironing every other week.
    heathermarie32

Answer by heathermarie32 at 7:00 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• oil sheen
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:06 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• heathermarie32 is correct.....use a protectant on your hair that is made especially for when you use hot styling tools and don't do it frequently. I've seen people who have burned their hair right off and my youngest DD was beginning to have damage that I had to have cut off. She used the protectant we bought, but she used the straightener every single day, no matter how many times I warned her not to. Teens never listen.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 11:41 AM on Feb. 4, 2010