Take a Pill and Live To Be 100- Yes or No?

Scientists are working on a pill that would allow folks to live healthy, productive lives @ 100. Thoughts, concerns, yay or nay?

Sisteract

Asked by Sisteract at 6:57 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Nay, the side effects are probably rectal incompetence and loss of sex drive. The side effects would be worse than living to only be 90. Whats the point of an extra 10 years if you are crapping yourself and can't do the naughty?
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 6:59 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• No thanks. Life hasn't been that great for me. I look forward to getting old and then someday seeing my loved ones who have passed.
    Anonymous

• From what I understand, they already discovered that taking Acetyl L-Carnitine (between meals, twice a day), and taking Alpha-Lipoic acid with every meal keeps your brain active and your body more free from the damage of aging.

It was a Reader's Digest article 5 years or so ago. The research had been done with elderly people, and the scientists involved were using the regimen themselves.

Also, the different form of vitamin C in Emergen-C (it's different because it is not ascorbic acid, it is a vitamin C combined with minerals so that it is the form which occurs in the human body) has been seen to keep the brain from shrinking like it tends to do in older age.

I'm not particularly interested in living for longer years, but I DO want to have better functioning while I AM still here !!
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 7:22 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• economictimes.indiatimes.com/...pill...live...100/.../5531483.cms
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:25 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I have also heard that doing activities with your non- dominate hand helps extend brain function ( brushing teeth, combing hair, and eating). I wonder if it's d/t increased pathways to the non- dominate side of the brain? Also, learning a foreign language or learning to play a music instrument in later years are suppose to boost and extend brain function.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:30 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Why would you want to hang around that long?! Don't you know you would probably suffer from a serious case of culture shock?! In my life time,I've seen remotes come,vinyl go,cassette tapes went the same way....cd's come and won't go away! 8-track tapes are unknown of and unheard of!!!! And the price of getting a needle IF you can find a working record player will cost you almost 2X what the damn record player cost!!!
    Nah...when my time comes,I'm going out with stlye,whether i'ma make a 'boom-boom' on myself or not....if the world is twice as bad by then as it has gotten now....nope,I'm gone.
    hipgranny

Answer by hipgranny at 7:41 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Nooooooooooooo thank you. I don't want to burden my children with living longer than I have to.
    Anonymous

• My boss wants to live to be a 135, he's from Nigeria. I am only 5'0 now, if I lived to be 100, would probably shrink to 4'0 and get lost in the snow.
    PestPatti

Answer by PestPatti at 8:38 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I would rather live a HAPPY and PRODUCTIVE life than the longest one possible.... I think 80 or 90 wonderful years are far better than 100 or more ok years.

Do they even know what any side effects are yet?
    29again

Answer by 29again at 8:42 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• PestPatti LMAO I love it. My mom was 5'5" for most of her adult life and now at 50 she's beginning to shrink. I think she's 5'3" now.

Sure, if there weren't any side effects and it was a perfect no-holds-barred guaranteed happy pill, I'd absolutely take it. I'm an atheist, this life is all I got, baby =)
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:45 PM on Feb. 3, 2010