What do you do with a newborn all day?

I have a 7 week old son who is pretty mellow, but I'm at a loss for what to do during playtime. I read to him, and let him stretch out on the floor and kick his legs to get some exercise, but I'm not sure what else I should be doing. What do you all do to 'play' with your newborns?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:04 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Your doing just fine! You could read a newspaper and he'd be amused. Right now they just like hearing you talk to them and the sound of your voice. They love looking at faces. I always held him up and let him put some weight on his legs. He would bounce himself up and down and loved it. Mostly I just snuggled though!
    Anonymous

• Take them to the park when its nice out, look at soft books with colors for a little bit. I dont think you can do much. You can always work out while you wear him (sling, wrap etc)
    aeroslove

Answer by aeroslove at 7:09 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Sounds like you're doing fine! Newborns just need a bit of interaction with you. Staring at your face could occupy HOURS.

Be aware that too MUCH stimulation can lead to nighttime meltdowns.

I did pretty much what you're doing. Maybe not the reading so much as just talking to him.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:09 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Get a wrap/sling and carry him around as you go about your business too.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 7:15 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Sounds like you are doing just fine ;)

If I had the infant times to do over again...I would hold them more and let my house be a little messier! ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 7:34 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• heck, i read websites i'm browsing to my 8-week-old. he just likes to look at me and to hear my voice. (ooh, and those smiles!)

so, in answer to your question, i read to my son, sing songs to him, let him snooze in my lap (which i'll probably regret), walk around with him and show him things (this is a red blanket. this is a big tree with green leaves. etc.), and exercise his legs and arms, like you do. i also try to let him entertain himself for a little while (5-10 minutes) in his cradle. he loves smiling at the smiley baby in the mirror. :)
    mandilovell

Answer by mandilovell at 7:43 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Talk to him. lol
    youngmm

Answer by youngmm at 8:05 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• That's pretty much it, lol. Talk to him, hold him, sing to him, play pat a cake, this little piggy, round and round the garden. It's okay to let him lay there with you and just look around the room and practice moving his body. You don't have to play with him the whole time he's awake.
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 9:33 PM on Feb. 3, 2010