When do children speak?

Our 2 year old son doesn't say more than a half dozen words and so his pediatrician has already referred him to special ed programs. He knows how to remove DVDs when the credits role, and how to put his next DVD in. He knows how to turn on the computer and click on the short cuts on the desktop which are his. He gets his own sippy cup when he's thirsty, goes sits on the sofa until he's done and then brings me his cup and bib to be washed. He can kick and fetch a ball when we play and is very physically active. He understands me when I speak to him in German, Romanian, English and ASL and he follows what I say... he just doesn't speak yet. However, his doctor & others in the health community say no verbal skills means special ed. Is this correct?

JoshOurPumpkin

Asked by JoshOurPumpkin at 7:09 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Not always, but kids who are speech delayed are usually advanced in other areas. My oldest has autism and when they told me that was it I was floored because my child is so smart - how could anything possibly be wrong when he does so many amazing things?!?
    But I would encourage you to get the evaluation and see what they say. If he gets a little extra speech therapy he ends up not needing, he'll just be that much further ahead of the game. Not speaking at 2 is generally a red flag, but the fact that he understands your talking is a good sign. Good luck!

Answer by missanc at 7:12 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• sounds like he doesn't know what language to speak in!
    Anonymous

• LMAO ANNON :15 you took the words out of my mouth!!!
    Anonymous

• my ddis almost 3 yrs old but by the time she was 2 shecould say well over 300 words. ispeak to her inj english and spanish and she has no problems. now that she speaks over 2,000 words in english. am teaching her some spanish down,. but i do agree with naon. he might be getting confused,. stick to one language and once he has that down then moved to another one. everyone' brain is different some people can bilingula while others cant. and i do know that one of the signs of autism is lack of speech.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 7:52 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• My dd has mild autism and is SUPER smart...smarter than an average 4 year old.

Anonymous

• Oh and I meant to add that she still has a speech delay...left that part out!
    Anonymous

• http://www.multilingualchildren.org/milestones/late_talker.html

This link should help
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 8:15 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I wouldn't start worring about it. Every child will talk when they are ready. But to put him in a early intervention program will help weather there is a problem or not.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 12:02 AM on Feb. 4, 2010

• My daughter did not speak much at 2 years old. She started speaking more throughout the year.
    grace2joy

Answer by grace2joy at 12:11 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• How does this affect his speech?... he's had chronic ear infections for the last year. Also, even when his ears aren't infected his tubes are always swollen. He's been stumbling a lot like he's drunk which makes me think his balance is off... isn't that an inner ear problem? If he has all these infections, and the fluid and swelling, at what point might a doctor say have tubes put in? And do tubes do anything for the hearing which was affected at the last hearing test?
    JoshOurPumpkin

Answer by JoshOurPumpkin at 7:52 PM on Feb. 4, 2010