Is there a reason why Mary is often painted or portrayed in blue?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:10 PM on Feb. 3, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• "The older, classic and more representative color is dark blue," according to the Rev. Johann Roten, S.M, director of the Marian Library-International Marian Research Institute at the University of Dayton. "Mary's dark blue mantle, from about 500 A.D., is of Byzantine origin and is the color of an empress." Mary has traditionally been called "Queen of Heaven," as the Mother of God who was assumed into heaven upon her death.

On a more practical note, the color blue used in medieval painting was derived from lapis lazuli, a stone imported from Afghanistan of greater value than gold. Beyond a painter's retainer, patrons were expected to purchase any gold or lapis lazuri to be used in the painting. Hence, it was an expression of devotion and glorification to swath the Virgin in wide flowing gowns of blue (as well as a not-too-subtle expression of the patron's wealth).
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:11 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• However, it should be noted that Mary does not have an official color, and red has also been widely employed in her representation, particularly amongst German painters. Further, light blue is very popular, and is often (though perhaps as reflection, rather than motivation) associated with the color of the pure sky.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_is_the_Blessed_Virgin_Mary%27s_color_blue

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:12 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• OH I am talking about the Virgin Mary, Mother God m2knl. Next time I will make that clear.
    Anonymous

• Thank you for that information Sleeping Beautee I didn't realize the history of the paint in medieval times.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:20 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• OH I am talking about the Virgin Mary, Mother God m2knl. Next time I will make that clear

Mary MOTHER of God is what I meant.
    Anonymous

• Mary is Mary is Mary. Period.
    Anonymous

• Greek Word for God bearer?

in a smaty mood tonight
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 9:07 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• I will give you a hint in begins with a "T"

One more question: Who will be added to the rosary prayer line tonight?
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 9:08 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• Theotokos
    Anonymous

• "The Council of Ephesus decreed in 431 that Mary is Theotokos because her son Jesus is one person who is both God and man, divine and human."

She didn't give birth to JUST the human part of Jesus, she gave birth to the whole child, FULLY human and FULLY divine.
    Anonymous